Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

A font designer asks: Can you design for web without .ttf files?

Hi everyone
    We're font designers and we've started porting our designs into commercial webfonts but we need some feedback on how we should be licensing and protecting our works.

Our webfont kits currently include webfonts in .eot, .woff2', .woff, and .svg formats.

We have specifically excluded .ttf files. This means that webfont licensees will be unable to use the webfonts on their desktops with Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, and the like.

Is this acceptable? Or is it a nuisance if you have to buy the desktop license separately and you therefore need us to include .ttf files in our webfont kits?

Thanks everyone!

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    I guess it depends on the cost of the licenses. Honestly if its for a client i typically like to save them money any way i can and if they needed both web and a .ttf i would go with a different font choice if it were cheaper to do so. It all comes down to cost for me.

Now i can see how this would be a inconvenience and i usually prefer to do things more smoothly. So depending on how much of an inconvenience would also determine if i used you or one of your competitors.

Try to make things as easy as possible for your customers and you will make it easier on yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Giving it some thought and there are two competing issues here:

1. We can bundle a .ttf file desktop license with the webfont eot, woff, woff2, and svg to enable users to have desktop access, priced accordingly (say $30, against $15 for a solo desktop license).

2. We require additional webfont licenses for each client site you host. That means if it's a bundle, we'd be forcing users to rebuy the .ttf files and desktop license for each client site they host ($30 each time, for a desktop license they don't need). That doesn't seem reasonable.

If we keep them separate, it means the designer can buy the desktop version for their own usage ($15), and then bill the clients for the webfont ($15). This sounds like a reasonable solution.

Your thoughts?

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    My take on this is in the form of a question, although I'm a developer and not a designer: I use fontsquirrel.com quite a bit for fonts. The fonts are free, and they come with the .ttf, .svg, .eot, .woff, and .woff2 files. Whatever they don't have, I can generate as long as I don't violate a licensing agreement.

So the question is "why would I pay for your fonts when I can get fonts for free? Is there something specific about your fonts that makes them unique and/or special?"
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    So the question is "why would I pay for your fonts when I can get fonts for free? Is there something specific about your fonts that makes them unique and/or special?"
    Yes. They're weird.

That's the secret.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I like weird. Show me weird. I might be enticed to pay for weird!

Yes, you have official permission from a mod to put a link to your site to see the weirdness.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads