Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Aplication update fields on web page

Hi,

I am an amateur web designer but operate at a fairly basic level. In my job I am a requirements analyst for my company that designs a product that is a large web based application written in ASP.NET. I have identified a requirement for the web application to be able to spontaneously (i.e. without any user action) update a web page to reflect the state of the application. As it happens the change of state has been initiated by the user using a different web page. If the original web page is not refreshed, it shows the wrong information, and this will mislead the users. If the page were refreshed, then it would show the correct information. Ideally I do not want to refresh the whole page - just the field that needs to be changed, since a full refresh will take some time and look messy.

Our software developers are telling us "that is not possible - that is not the way web applications work". This seems odd to me, and I am unwilling to give up until I have examined all the possibilities. So the question is, is there a way in an ASPX application for the application to spontaneously update a field on a web page when something internal changes?

I thought that was the sort of thing that AJAX was meant to enable.

I think it is "obviously" possible to achieve the effect of what I want by having a script which refreshes the page every 2 seconds or similar. However, this is non-ideal, because the page will keep on being refreshed when there are no changes, and if it refreshes the whole page, it will look untidy.

Is there a way to achieve what I want? To refresh just a field on the page when the application detects that the state has changed?

Thanks - Rowan

Member #
    i'm not familar terribly familar with .asp...

javascript - What is the easiest way to detect if at least one field has been changed on an HTML form? - Stack Overflow

stackoverflow is a great resource for programming issues though

hope this gets you in a the right direction

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    The page that needs to see the change will be running a javascript with some sort of timer that periodically checks for changes. So instead of your whole page refreshing, javascripting is checking for change and updating a field on the page. AJAX would be the correct term. Asynchronous Javascripting (AJAX) for me, involves javascripting with PHP. But for you, it will be javascripting with ASP. I'm not an ASP user. You'll have to look for an ASP forum or tutorial that describes AJAX with ASP

This is a good place to start:
    AJAX for Beginners (Part 1) - Understanding ASP.NET AJAX Server Controls - CodeProject
    In fact, they describe a timer function that looks for change. Almost exactly like you'll need to do.

Remove Ads