Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By mlseim

Thread: Possible Fraud Website Design Request

Member #

Possible Fraud Website Design Request

Hi,

I'm a website designer and have a website offering my services. I was contacted by a potential client to design a website. Awesome right!!! but the email I received is making me think it could be a scam... The first sentence was that has was hearing impaired and that's why he is emailing. (I also work at a bank and a lot of scams come from "customers" claiming they are hearing impaired and they need assistance transferring funds over TTY service lines or email). that was the first red flag. The second red flag was asking if we accept credit cards and that his budget is $8000, which is awesome but talking to him more he just needs a simple informational website... People just don't pay that kind of money for only informational websites! He wants me to host the site and register the domain name, which also brings up red flags to me.

Has anyone else experienced something similar and do you thin this could be a spam? Anything scam stories?

Thank you very much for your replays.

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    Anyone can go to a webhost like GoDaddy and subscribe to a webhost account and domain name at the same time ... using a credit card. Ask him to do that and THEN he can email you the account information (the information GoDaddy sends to him, he can forward to you). It's really easy to get an account and there is no reason he can't do it himself. If he's serious, he'll do it. Otherwise you should say "thanks, but no thanks". Did he even suggest a domain name that you are supposed to register?

Lead him on for a while ...this could be entertaining. Keep up posted.
    Vapr_Arts and Fireproofgfx like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    There's nothing in what you've told us so far to raise a red flag, but there are reasons to proceed with caution. I often register domains on behalf of clients, and I host several of my clients' sites myself because it's easier for them to pay me to maintain their servers than it is to try and find hosting and deal with it themselves. However, I've met my clients beforehand and I've been inside of their physical locations and evaluated them first.

Max gave you one test. Let me give you another...do a quick wireframe mockup of how you think the site should look and feel. Don't spend more than an hour or two on it, and do it when you have some free time. Show it to the prospective customer, tell them what you're thinking, give the customer a quote, and ask for a deposit through PayPal. Once you receive the deposit, call PayPal and ask if they can do a fraud check on the spot. They used to do this years ago, although I'm not certain if they still do.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    I've receive two of these, and both started as text messages that said the same thing. The first, I went back and forth with, got spooked around the same time you did. Seemed a little weird to me, but other than the oddly high budget, I couldn't put my finger on it. Then, I asked where they learned about me, just to see what they said. He replied a lady from his church in Tennessee, though no more specific on the location than that. When I pressed for a name, there was a long pause, and he replied "mary". I only know 2 Mary's, one of which is on this board. Neither live in Tennessee.

The second text was copy/paste of the first, but from a different number. Now this. I'm sure it's a scam, I'm just not sure what the angle is.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mlseim View Post
    Did he even suggest a domain name that you are supposed to register?
    The one who contacted me did in his eventual email. Even had another site he wanted mimicked in the same business.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    So I think I know what they want.

A site that scrapes other sites, or uses other API's to display information that people will click on within a search. They don't care about the content, and they don't maintain anything. They just know that if people view their page and click, they will make money on each click. So they create a dozen sites all the same with different domain names.

Remove Ads