Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Web content

SiF
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Web content

Hi all,

I am a new graphic designer and have just started working on a web page for my client. I have a few questions to ask. I hope you guys don't mind.

Could any of you please tell me whether or not it's the Web Designer's job to generate a company profile, Services and so on (from the brief) or should the company provide information and the designer just pops it on the web for them. Also, how do you get away from being in troubled from using images/font from web sites? Is there any free images/font web site that can be used for commercial web sites?

Thank you kindly,
    SiF

fox
    Member #
    Hi SiF,

According the question about the pictures: In our class we talked about theme probleme, and we where told that there are some web-sites where you can use pictures in comercial way, but they are not very good... Furthermore, big firmas have their own photographs who do photos for the firma so you won't have probllems... Other firmas hire photographs for their sites... Sometimes is is the job of designers to make photos... The best thing is when you go and talk to your client so he can provide you with photos you need. To you font question: It depends of where are you living. In Germany where I am studiing you mostly have to pay for a font... Other sites can give it for free but in the web code their link will be mentioned (that this idea belongs to them)... About the first question: I do not know but I guess the client has to provide you with information... I would ask the client about the information and if he doesn't say clearly what he wants just do it how I do imagine... Otherwise show him some of your drafts and choose the one he likes more...
    Hope I understood you right and was able to help you
    Sincerelly
    Fox

SiF
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi Fox,

Thank you very much for your help. Yes, I believe they provide all information. Sorry, I should have been more clear. I meant to ask who prepares the wording? Is it the designer's job to prepare the wording? I thought that the client would prepare it?

Hope your study is going well
    SiF

fox
    Member #
    I could hardly imagine that it is your job to write everything because later on you have to write textes on different topics like history, science, sports, music, politics... So you need very very deep knowledge in every topic, and it is hard to do... You know what I mean?
    You should talk about it with your client and ask him about the wording... And I ask my webdesign - teacher in the next class on Tuesday and gonna answer you But please send me message on Monday -> I forget many things last time
    Thank you, my studies are going well
    Cheers

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Are you a designer that is self taught?

It is very illegal to use any photo and font or anything without permission. Look into the licenses of fonts you use, photos are harder to find licenses for especially if you use google.

If you are a designer you should be buying the license to use the photos from stock photography sites and then charging the client for them. You should estimate it into the quote you give before beginning the project and this is also why we require a down payment.

As far as what is or isnt your job, that depends on the contract. You should ALWAYS have a contract that outlines your responsibilities and what they should expect from you. This will make it so they cannot argue and fight you on payments down the road.

I personally am not fond of coming up with the wording (typically referred to as the copy) so i try and pass this on to someone else if the client doesn't want to. Again the cost would have been marked up in the quote and discussed before any work was done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SiF
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thank you so much both Fox and Vapr_Arts.
    I finished studying almost a year ago but didn't get a chance to start working in this area till now as my second job. I am aware that it is illegal to use photos and fonts without permission, however, during my study the teachers also suggested that there are some free image and font web sites around so I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask around...ehheheops: And as I a new designer and don't know how good or how expensive they are. I shall now be looking into buying them.

You advice is worthy. Thank you.
    SiF

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Good free fonts arent that hard to come by. Theres resources like google fonts that you can use. Dafont, 1001fonts and a few other sites have fonts with their licensing clearly visible. Just make sure you are using the right license.

Images are difficult. Mainly because ppl will steal photos and then upload them as free but dont own the rights. Because of this i tend to avoid free photo sites. I use to use One Dollar Photo Club. As the name suggest all and every photo is 1 dollar. They don't always have the best images tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fox
    Member #
    And where do you get free fonts???

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Handpicked free fonts for graphic designers with commercial-use licenses. | Font Squirrel.

To answer the original question, the client is the best person to write an "about"/"services" page unless you're so involved with the company that you can do this yourself. This is a rare case, though.
    fox likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

SiF
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thank you for your advice TheGAME1264

I appreciate every piece of advice and can't thank enough but I don't click Like does that mean I'm rude. I mean... I prefer to express my appreciation by saying more than clicking Like in my thread but if I may click Like in other thread.

In my opinion people should feel important when they help other people because they are smart and they are very kind.

Can I ask my next question here or should I make a new thread? I just need to know how much people or most people pay for donationware. I don't want to pay too little nor too much. Is it save to use credit card? What is the safest means to buy stuff online?

Since my next questions relate to web content so I'm going to post on here.

Could any of you please tell me is it be possible to regularly change the copy and add blogs, articles, videos etc? When you do change content where and how do you keep them in case you need to reuse them in future?

Thank you
    SiF
    Last edited by SiF; May 15th, 2015 at 01:47 PM. Reason: related topic

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads