Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    fox
    Member #

Need help for study

Hi there
    For now I am studying IT in my colledge in Germany and it makes much fun... Right now, my favourite subject beside programming is webdesign, and I would like to go deeper in this staff as we only get basic knowledge there... But I am not sure what to learn and where to start... In colledge we learnt HTML5 lasts semesters and have CSS 3 in the first and second semesters... Furthermore we learn MySQL 5.0 and gonna get php, communications protocols (like https) and some other stuff ( we still do not know which ) in the thirs semester... I already lent some books about JavaScript in our library and hope to get some courses where I can proof I know something about it!
    But anyway, what else should I learn to be a good designer later on? Which tricks, languages etc? Can you give some advertises on books or sites ( No matter if they are in German, Russian, English or Spanish) ? Or help me somehow?
    Thank you

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    I wouldn't put too much trust in books. The process to get a book written/published is a long process and in that time these languages continue to change. Sure these books can help you learn the fundamentals but a lot of the time after reading a book i find another way of doing something that is much simpler and more accurate.

My approach to learning is 99% online. I first started with sites like Codecademy. This taught me the fundamentals id need to proceed with step two.

Step two is to look online at websites. Find things that you like and don't like in a site and use the dev tools in your browser to view the code. Figure out how they did what you like and replicate it. This does not mean copy/paste it and call it yours! What i do is take what i learnt from Codecademy and really figure out what they have done and how i can do something similar. This is great for things on the front end like html/css/js

For backend type of processes I typically will go in and find open source code on github that does something in the back end i want to do. And from there will proceed like step two and try and replicate it.

I also like to read blog posts and things to keep up with advanced technologies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fox
    Member #
    Thank you for your answer and your ideas I deffenetly will try this way of study
    And are there any other languages beside this three I should learn? In internet there are so many so by the end I got lost in them...

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Quote Originally Posted by fox View Post
    Thank you for your answer and your ideas I deffenetly will try this way of study
    And are there any other languages beside this three I should learn? In internet there are so many so by the end I got lost in them...
    There are many languages you could learn. I taught myself html/css/js first and then started looking into backend programming with php and mysql. I have a fairly good grasp on it but am still learning the backend. It really all depends on what you want to accomplish. Any language can be both good or bad to learn depending on what you want to accomplish. It also depends on personal preference. For example, I am learning php because it fits what i do best. The Game (a mod on this forum) uses ASP.net instead. They are alternative to each other and each one works better for us because of the work we do and the servers we use.

fox
    Member #
    It's interesting! Which version of MySQL are you working with? And how did you find out what fits the best?

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Well mysql is what i use because it works best with my server. Do you have a hosting plan? Is it linux or windows? This will tell you what you need to use.

fox
    Member #
    I have windows right now, but I will also install linux as a second os on my nes laptop when I get it!

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    No not your the os for your personal computer im talking about your web server. Where the files will be hosted.

fox
    Member #
    Ahh...Sorry... No,I do not have one right now.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Well to know what languages you need to learn also depends on the type of server you want to use. You dont need a server to learn but what you do learn will make a difference for your choice of servers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads