Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Help Wanted. Really Wanted.

Hi again.

I couldn't locate a specific place that seemed proper to post this message, so please forgive me if it's here inappropriately.

Some of you might recall that I'm the client of someone developing my site on the WordPress platform. I've posted a couple of questions seeking confirmation that the slow pace of the site's development could be attributed to technical concerns rather than developer abdication. Your responses provided me with the confidence that it was the former.

Well, I've reached a crossroads with the project manager. He is willing to concede that the person working on the project isn't up to the task. I therefore asked him whether he'd be open to my trying to recruit a replacement here.

So, here is the job description he's put together. It seems to require a high-level of WordPress experience, so please, if you're interested, only respond if it seems well within your skill set. Neither he nor I would welcome another round of a developer who is in over their head.

Need a Wordpress developer with extensive experience working with custom
    post types and custom fields and also with experience customizing existing
    plugins. Must be very familiar with WP Toolset (including both WP Types and
    WP Views). This is a requirement. Should also be comfortable writing
    responsive, mobile friendly CSS, Javascript, and PHP following Wordpress
    Codex best practices. Further details provided during Skype or phone based
    interview to interested and qualified candidates.

Hope to hear back from anyone who has the time, energy and, of course, abilities to take on this task.

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    The responsive part is going to be a deal-breaker for a lot of people.

You should find an existing or premium wordpress theme template that is already responsive. They may have to purchase the theme, but it will be worth the cost. That alone will save a programmer weeks of scripting. You then customize that responsive theme. Throw away the theme you're using now that is NOT responsive.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks for the informative, if not altogether encouraging response. I've forwarded it to my project manager. I do have a lay question. If we proceed as you recommend and abandon the responsive template (if I'm making sense by calling it that), could any or all of the previous work be saved and imported into a new premium template?

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    A responsive template is one that resizes for all screen sizes and devices. I assumed you do NOT have a responsive site and wish to have someone create one. So I mention you buy a responsive template. Save a lot of time.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Oh, OK. That's somehow less worrisome than I thought. Nonetheless, a little concerned no programmers have picked up on my post and shown interest. Do the requirements laid out other than the responsive template strike you as not being excessively demanding? Or are we going to have to find someone with an unusually refined set of skills to bring on board, from what he's written?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Here's word from the project manager on the issue. I'm pretty much a robot, cutting and pasting, and with my primitive knowledge I can't really arbitrate the conversation. But I thought it would be useful for you and anyone else interested to see his thoughts. Please don't mistake the opening sentence for an inflammatory personality. He's very accommodating by nature.

That's a very strange reply that I strongly disagree with. First of all, we already have a responsive theme because we created it that way. But when working on templates for layouts, you still have to know responsive coding techniques or your CSS / HTML edits will screw things up. Additionally, responsive development has been the standard now for several years so I can't imagine why this guy would say this is any kind of deal breaker as every programmer I have hired in the past few years has been able to create responsive designs from scratch.

Think about it like this: If you have a theme that is responsive, and now you want to have a page that displays custom fields that are not normally part of wordpress. (Like we do...normally Wordpress has only 2 post types :Pages and posts, and the only fields are the title, the "body" or edit field, and an excerpt field. We have dozens of fields) How would the display of those fields and information be accomplished in a responsive way unless you know how to code responsively? If you code non-responsive elements within a responsive theme, you break the responsiveness of that part / page / template.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    If every "programmer" he has hired has been able to create responsive designs from scratch, either he's not hiring programmers or the boys and girls he is hiring are working from Photoshop templates and "from scratch" refers to "they create the HTML and CSS." Most programmers are strictly programmers and know little to nothing about design; in most cases that's by choice (or if you prefer puns, design).

The requirements you have laid out aren't all that demanding, but you probably won't get a lot of interest as a result. You've probably either seen or been told that there are a lot of "WordPress developers" out there that "specialize" in WP and can do all sorts of wonderful, magical things with it. Here's the truth on that...most of them aren't developers. Most of them know how to install WP, know how to edit a theme to some extent, and know that if they have to do something outside of WP's normal capacity to go find a plugin because they can't code it themselves. That's it. That is as far as most "WordPress developers" can go. When you ask what you've just asked about WP, you've systematically eliminated at least 99% of "WordPress developers".If you want a rough delineator, ask any prospective "developer" if they have ever created a custom WP plugin or edited any of the PHP files that come as part of WP and/or a theme before. Most of them don't know PHP from a hole in the ground.

As far as HTML/CSS goes, this is where you'll probably lose most of the remaining developers. Developers aren't designers, and there's a lot of NIMBYism among the developer crowd. "That's a design issue, I won't touch that." "CSS is for your designer." "You need to get your designer involved." That's true to a point among designers as well, but it's more related to lack of skill than lack of desire. The over all point is that the two fields are considered separate, and one usually doesn't know the other. There are a few of us in the "hybrid" crowd, but even those of us that are there have a strong point...I'm much more of a developer myself.

You may end up in a position, as a result, where you have to hire both a designer and a developer. It's stupid for a job like this, but stupid may be your reality.

By the way, I'm offering all of this as "white paper" advice. I'm not eligible for the position since I know enough about PHP to hack my way through and eventually get what I want (it's my "third language" behind ASP and ASP.net) and I refuse to touch WP unless I absolutely have to because of the hot mess it has become.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    Tell him I apologize for not being clear with my response. Reading back what I typed ... it isn't clear.

Your current site is responsive ... good. No more discussion about that.

I have so many projects going on at the same time ... I'm not a candidate.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks. There was some disagreement over that point, I must concede.

Let us know if your schedule ever frees up!

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mlseim View Post
    The responsive part is going to be a deal-breaker for a lot of people.
    I'm a bit curious about this, because you aren't the first person I've seen say that recently. It's odd to me, because it is the opposite of my experience so far. Every job I've looked at, and every developer I know well enough to know their exact skillset, responsive is the top of the list of requirements/capabilities.

That said, I match the job description to the letter, but I'm out because I have too many irons in the fire at the moment. The company I work for, Big Wing Interactive, could set you up, though.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads