Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Web code for email on website with uploading files

Good afternoon,

Hi, I am trying to open my site to start my business but I am running into some issues. I am using 1and1 for my site. What I am trying to do is have a page that they are able to email me to my email address from the page and it goes to my email (ex. an the email would be for an order and go to the email address orders@domain.com) but I also need them to be able to upload their files. The files can either be included in the email or if (and most likely will be too big because they are cad files that will be uploaded) it could be uploaded to my 1and1 account or on a cloud service with the name of the file to be connected some how with the email that was sent. How could I do this? Thank you for all and any help.

Best,

Bobby

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    What would the largest file sizes be? That's going to be the hardest part because PHP has limits, filesize and timeouts. For sure, the part about uploading to your website and not using email would be the best way to go. The email you get would be a notice that file(s) were uploaded. You will then log-in and access them. Likewise, the person uploading them would also be able to add more, or replace them. Only you and the person who uploaded them would have access to them.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mlseim View Post
    What would the largest file sizes be? That's going to be the hardest part because PHP has limits, filesize and timeouts. For sure, the part about uploading to your website and not using email would be the best way to go. The email you get would be a notice that file(s) were uploaded. You will then log-in and access them. Likewise, the person uploading them would also be able to add more, or replace them. Only you and the person who uploaded them would have access to them.
    Thank you for the reply. I am a little new at making web pages (but not in the computer or programming world) so all help and details would be a great help.

The file sizes would range from 50mb to 200mb or more depending how detailed the file is made. I was thinking the best way to do it would be to have it uploaded to my website because of that reason. How would I go about setting something like this up? Thank you again for all your help.

Best,

Bobby

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    Bobby,

I'm thinking that it will require an FTP (file transfer protocol) account to make this happen.

With your webhost 1&1, you already have FTP setup. You need to create a username and password to allow FTP access.

Once that gets set-up, and you know these three things:
    FTP HOST
    FTP USERNAME
    FTP PASSWORD

A PHP test script can be written to test the ability to upload a huge file (200mb).

Before you do anything else, you should contact 1&1 and explain to them what you are doing. They may require a dedicated virtual server account for you, which will cost you more money. A virtual server along with much more storage ability.

Contact them and explain your needs, then post back what they say. You can private message me if you wish.

Just know that "anything" is possible, it most likely will cost more money.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mlseim View Post
    Bobby,

I'm thinking that it will require an FTP (file transfer protocol) account to make this happen.

With your webhost 1&1, you already have FTP setup. You need to create a username and password to allow FTP access.

Once that gets set-up, and you know these three things:
    FTP HOST
    FTP USERNAME
    FTP PASSWORD

A PHP test script can be written to test the ability to upload a huge file (200mb).

Before you do anything else, you should contact 1&1 and explain to them what you are doing. They may require a dedicated virtual server account for you, which will cost you more money. A virtual server along with much more storage ability.

Contact them and explain your needs, then post back what they say. You can private message me if you wish.

Just know that "anything" is possible, it most likely will cost more money.

Thank you for your help. I am going to look into this and give them a call. This is great infomation and will help me out a lot. I will let you know what I find out and what other help I need to get this up and running. Thank you again.

Best,

Bobby

Remove Ads