Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mlseim

Thread: Professional WebDesign - CMS?

Member #

Professional WebDesign - CMS?

Hey,

I have always wondered if professional WebDesigners use Conten Management Systems.

They make the implementing of the WebSite pretty simple but I could imagine that the system is not individual enough.

Can you guys answer me this question?

Thanks a lot and greetings

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    Never heard of it myself. ... but my main career is not web designing, at least in a "professional" way.

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    I am not really understanding your question, it sounds like you are asking "do you as web designers use Content Management Systems (CMS)?" But Mlseim posted "never heard of it myself", now I don't know if he is being sarcastic or professional WebDesigners CMS is actually a program, which I looked up but could not find. I think the issue here is the run-on words such as webdesigner and the word WebSite.

Anyways, I set up a Content Management System for all of my clients so I don't have to make too many changes for them, that allows them to do the changes themselves. It also allows me to make only the Content sections editable so the clients don't ruin the overall design of the website. I use FreeCMS that gives you 5 free pages before you have to pay which is usually enough for my clients.

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    Content Management covers anything that is content.
    Too general of a term to be narrowed down to web design.

Sorry for sarcasm
    Last edited by mlseim; May 31st, 2015 at 08:34 PM.
    Fireproofgfx likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    LOL I was lost and confused. But not by what you specifically said, it was coupled with what the OP said lmao...

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    CMS or a 'Content Management System' quite literally allows you to control and manage the content within your web site - without technical training. Using this uncomplicated system you can very easily add, delete images and edit text in your web site on the fly. You can also have an unlimited number of pages and a full site-search engine.

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    Using this uncomplicated system you can very easily add, delete images and edit text in your web site on the fly.

It is complicated. Not complicated for the user, but for the programmer. Everything needs to be validated before writing to a database. Images need to be processed (file types, sizing, etc). Permissions granted for users to affect different areas of content. Admin scripting needed so that people with "admin" levels can moderate all content and control users entering content. Dealing with Rich Text VS Plain Text ... what levels of formatting is allowed. Drag and Drop capabilities. The list goes on and on.

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    It surprises me that thus far there has been no mention of WordPress , Joomla etc.
    When it acts as a CMS, complete with easy plugins to enhace websites and interactivity, the blogging tool, customisable themes and an endless amount more. I have never known a web designer who doesnt make use of a CMS for clients who require one, obviously until now.

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    I think this thread has gone "off the rails". The original post was about professionals using CMS or not using CMS. Of course they do. It doesn't matter if it's WordPress, Joomla, or anything. If you have a scripted method of allowing a user to change one word on a web page, that's CMS. It's managing content.

The original post also discusses the possibility that using what I call "canned" CMS (Like WordPress) is not individual enough. In most cases, I can spot a wordpress site immediately, no matter how hard a designer tries to hide it. The real question should be about the cost of a total custom site or using a framework like wordpress. Of course it's cheaper to use wordpress or joomla ... development time is much less.

duh, of course professional designers use CMS.

Remove Ads