Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By mlseim
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264
  • 1 Post By mlseim

Thread: Help - Need to go past basic website

Member #

Help - Need to go past basic website

Hi all,

I am looking for help with creating a backend for our website. An area where our clients can login and perform some of the following functions:
    • Manage Account Info
    • Update Care Profiles
    • View Reservations
    • Reserve Services
    • Process Payment
    • View their Photos
    • Download Photos From Visits
    • Add Additional Tasks for service provider

I do not even know where to start. We have a website but I do not know where to turn to find someone that can build a backend to our website that our clients can interact with. Any and all help is appreciated.

Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge and pointing us in the right direction towards a solution.

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    My advice ... hire a programmer.

If you don't know where to start, and seeing your required specs, there is no way you'll be able to do this yourself ... even with hints.

It's for a business. They have the ability to hire someone. It's part of the cost of "doing business".

Expect to pay $1000-$5000 for your site.

Member #
    Thank you for your feedback. I am ready to spend the money needed to get it done. I am looking for some direction on who does this sort of thing. Are there any companies anyone recommends? Any companies I can check out? Thanks again for the feedback, it is sincerely appreciated.

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    An important thing would be to get solid references for the cost, quality, and completion time for various companies. Many are single person businesses in the Middle East. Language and distance can be a problem. You have no recourse for poorly done jobs.

I always wondered if Angie's List has web site companies ... I've never checked that. There would be good non-biased reviews.
    AlphaMare likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Careful with that, Max. Why Consumer Reports Says You Can't Trust Angie's List - Forbes

As Max said, what you've specified alone is going to cost you a fair amount of money. The part that isn't mentioned i.e. an admin for the "service providers" will cost you more money. Let me give you two examples:

1) the photos from the visits (which I'm guessing has something to do with hospice care or some other nursing care, based on the specs you've provided) will have to be uploaded by someone else in order for them to be downloaded. That means that they'll probably have to be resized into various sizes, depending on the layout of the page and the devices people will want to use. In other words, your steps are: service provider logs in, service provider uploads photos, site resizes them. The latter can be a pretty difficult step for people who don't have experience with this.

2) managing the clients. You've mentioned that clients can manage their account info, but who adds/edits/deletes the clients themselves? How do logins/passwords get created?

The reason I brought these two things up to you is that these are the types of things an experienced developer or company will mention. They'll be able to look at what you're trying to accomplish, break it down into tasks, and think of things you might not necessarily have considered yourself. Some (such as an admin) will add to your costs, but probably be necessary for functionality reasons. Some (such as a better workflow) may not.

You're probably going to have somewhat of a difficult time with this as a result. What you've laid out isn't especially complicated, but there are aspects of it (e.g. the payment processing) that most developers and even quite a few companies can't handle. For example, this board has over 40,000 members now. Max could handle something like this in all likelihood. I could, but I'm not sure if I'd have time for it...it depends on what happens with a site I plan on launching in the next two weeks. I think Ronald Roe could, but he's busy. There are maybe another half a dozen people who have the skills to take on something like this on the entire board. So you're looking at no more than about 9 people out of 40,000 just based on your specs posted here. You'll probably run into similar ratios when you try to find someone who can do these things, and you'll be able to eliminate most either because they're too busy or you talk to them in more detail and you two don't fit for whatever reason.

I'm not sure reviews and/or recommendations would help in your case, either. What you're asking for is fairly specific. If you see a bunch of positive reviews for Company X and all Company X does is edit WordPress templates, that doesn't apply to your situation.

Just to be clear, you've asked a good question i.e. "how do I find individual or company X?" The problem is that the answer isn't anywhere near as good as the question itself is, through absolutely no fault of your own.
    AlphaMare likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    I agree it will be tough to figure out what companies are worth the costs, and if they can do the job. I'm seeing a lot of posts on this forum where people had trouble with developers and are seeking advice. It seems like using a slot machine ... you might hit it good, or land on a lemon.

One thing about Angie's List that may be beneficial - some results might be from companies local to a nearby city. At least that would allow a person to check into them more thoroughly.

I've failed a few of jobs I've taken on. Usually because of a miscommunication on what the client was expecting and what I provided. I felt really bad about it, because reputation and integrity is everything in this business. Nobody is perfect.

Too bad the original post ... question about where to start and who to find for the job, is really hard to answer.

Step-up to the slot machine and pull the handle ... see what happens.
    TheGAME1264 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    It really is...except that it's more like using a tight slot machine than a loose one.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads