Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ironbladed

Thread: Detecting a pirated website?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Lightbulb Detecting a pirated website?

If I suspect that a website was created using a pirated copy of Dreamweaver/Muse/etc., is there any way to tell from the exported html files/css codes etc?

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    In all likelihood, there isn't. Dr*amw*av*r's footprint is more based on bloated HTML and CSS, not anything the program puts in to explicitly identify itself.

Why in the world would you want to do that, anyway?
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    In all likelihood, there isn't. Dr*amw*av*r's footprint is more based on bloated HTML and CSS, not anything the program puts in to explicitly identify itself.

Why in the world would you want to do that, anyway?
    i'm just wondering how many sites out there are created with pirated software

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I'd suggest that a very small percentage are.

Two reasons:

1) Most of the better tools out there are free e.g. Notepad++, the horribly named Microsoft Visual Studio, MySQL, SQL Server Express, the various frameworks themselves. You don't need to buy software to create a site.

2) In many cases, if not most cases, paid software is purchased at a deep educational discount and retained by students.

Interesting question, but I don't think you're going to find a great deal of tools that are pirated to build sites. You're more likely to find pirated content than tools. The most likely tool to be pirated would be something like Photoshop, but even it wouldn't be overly likely.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I'd suggest that a very small percentage are.

Two reasons:

1) Most of the better tools out there are free e.g. Notepad++, the horribly named Microsoft Visual Studio, MySQL, SQL Server Express, the various frameworks themselves. You don't need to buy software to create a site.

2) In many cases, if not most cases, paid software is purchased at a deep educational discount and retained by students.

Interesting question, but I don't think you're going to find a great deal of tools that are pirated to build sites. You're more likely to find pirated content than tools. The most likely tool to be pirated would be something like Photoshop, but even it wouldn't be overly likely.
    hmm, that sounds reasonable. but as you said, we can't really tell.

anyway, thanks for the input.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    imagine if we could somehow tell, there might be endless lawsuits
    TheGAME1264 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    If there is such a thing as a reverse class action, it would probably work that way...one company suing several thousand pirates.

Mind you, piracy in general is one of those things where the technology is about 3 steps behind the thieves. A classic example is Kickass Torrents. The police whack one of the kat.whatever domains, and then they spring up another one in another country maybe 3 hours later and they're back in business.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    If there is such a thing as a reverse class action, it would probably work that way...one company suing several thousand pirates.

Mind you, piracy in general is one of those things where the technology is about 3 steps behind the thieves. A classic example is Kickass Torrents. The police whack one of the kat.whatever domains, and then they spring up another one in another country maybe 3 hours later and they're back in business.
    We already have copyright trolls.

Which begs the question, why doesnt the whole world engage in copyright trolling? It would scare the public shitless and reduce piracy, at least for a short while.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    https://www.plagiarismtoday.com/tag/prenda-law/ <-- go through some of the stories Jonathan Bailey posted here. Prenda Law tried it and got nailed pretty hard for being idiots in the process.

This is a great site for copyright stuff in general. Jonathan knows his stuff.

Remove Ads