Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: FrontPage Form Help

Member #

FrontPage Form Help

Hello,

I'm new to this site, so I apologize if this question is in the wrong spot, but I really need some help with a forms issue I've been fighting for days. I have basic knowledge on how to setup a website using Frontpage, but have zero knowledge of coding or HTML. I'm aware that Frontpage is old, but at this time is the only editor I can use.

I am trying to setup a form on a website so that the information entered in gets to the proper recipient. I would prefer to do this using SSL, but as stated above, have no idea how to do this. I have tried to set the form up to email the information, but each time I hit the submit button, I receive an error:

FrontPage Error.

User: please report details to this site's webmaster.

Webmaster: please see the server's application event log for more details.

I know that more information is needed, so I will post this question but please let me know what further information is needed.

Thank you.

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    For sure you'll need to use server-side scripting to send the form. Most likely, you'll use PHP.

If you have a website, please give us a link to it. If I can see the form, that might help answer your question.

Member #
    If you have a website, please give us a link to it. If I can see the form, that might help answer your question.[/QUOTE]

Here it is:

Alleman Car Corner

I tried to hide the link since I am still working on the page, but to get to the form the button is below the "get directions via Google Maps" box.

Direct link to the form: Applicant Information

I ha put this site together on my own, so please be gentle.

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    I hate to be negative, because I can see you are trying and there is nothing wrong with that. I applaud people for giving it ago.

My advice? I will bet my house, car and husband on the fact that not a single, genuine customer will a) find your site b) fill in the form.
    Your wasting your time messing with the site, you know frontpage is dated so its of no benefit learning anyway.

Your up against competition such as Stew Hansen Dodge Ram Chrysler Jeep Dealership - Urbandale IA This site is dated too, but is so much more professional.
    If you need a website to benefit your company, my advice is to call in a professional company im afraid.

Good luck with your form, should you pursue with tinkering with it.

Member #
    Thank you for your input Studio, but unfortunately, this is a small dealership and the owner has no interest in paying a pro to make the site. He is happy with the setup, he just wants the form to work. I just need help with figuring out why the form will not work once I hit the Submit button. I've got all other components of the site to work, once I have the form problem resolved, then it's back to adding and removing vehicles as needed.

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    Who is your webhost (example, GoDaddy or 1&1)?

I want to know if your webhost supports PHP. Most do, but making sure.

I have no experience with FrontPage _vti files (bin processing). My advice would be to process with PHP.

You have one issue that may be a deal-breaker. You're asking people to enter personal info (birthdate, address, employment income) ... but you are not using a secure server (HTTPS). Even with a secure server, I would be reluctant to enter that personal data. Who knows where it goes and what happens to it? And with a secure website, emails are not secure. The data would need to be stored online within the secure webhost account.

My advice would be to offer a PDF file that a person can print and fill-out. They bring that with them to the dealership. At least doing that, they are handing it to a person. They will know who is being responsible for their information.

As you said, it's a small dealer in a small Iowa town. But the internet is world-wide.

I assume someone has to take photos and update the FrontPage website every day? Cars come and go?

------

Here is my advice for you, and it's just a personal opinion. You can run this by your dealer owner.

On your website, give simple information about location, business hours, phone, etc.
    On your website create a link to a FaceBook page that is created for the business.

Here are examples of small dealerships that use FaceBook for their business:
    https://www.google.com/#safe=off&q=f...uto+dealership

Let's look at this one:
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Preci...53605411374184

They can easily take photos and send to facebook. Lots of information and comments can be added.

People can ask questions.

Look at this ... they even have a FaceBook App on the left column (and in the 'more' tab) to view inventory:
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Preci...70231789686802

The dealer(s) can work with it on any device or smartphone while they are anywhere ... in office, out in the lot, at home, at lunch.

FaceBook is social, so anyone in or around Alleman can be 'friended' .

They won't need a person to update the website.
    They won't need FrontPage,
    They won't need to have a PC dedicated to doing the website updates.

If I were a dealer in Alleman, I would certainly do it using FaceBook.

Just my opinion.

EDIT:
    If you want to explain this to them (showing them advice from a developer like me), you can just give them a link to this webdesignforum discussion. Let them read it. You seem to have technical skills ... enough to create a FaceBook site.
    Last edited by mlseim; Jun 09th, 2015 at 06:41 PM.
    Vapr_Arts likes this.

Member #
    Thank you mlseim, that's a lot of info to digest at the moment, but I'll try to answer your questions the best I can.

The webhost is NetINS, and I have no idea what PHP is, what it does, or if the hosting company uses it.

At this time, I have setup the site to allow visitors to print out the form and submit it to the owner of the dealership. I have informed the owner that this is the most secure option, and that even using SSL does not guarantee data security. However, he wants the site setup so that once the credit app is submitted, he can get information from whatever company processes the credit application to determine how much a customer can afford.

All the owner does is take pictures of the vehicles, and sends them to me along with basic information on each vehicle. Aside from the pictures and info, the owner does nothing else with the site except for input on design or layout changes. As I stated before, he is happy with the website, but wants the form to work as soon as possible.

My responsibility is to put the pictures and vehicle information into the Inventory page, and then publish the site. The owner may have me add 6-7 cars a month, sometimes more, sometimes less. I've been doing this for three years, and until now have had no problems. I've put over 20 hours in the last 5 days just trying to get this form to work, and I am at my wits end. With my very limited knowledge of website building, I am very hesitant to build another site from scratch, especially if it means we still don't have a working form. But, I also don't want to devote more time to building a form that is never going to work.

I would prefer not to terminate the business relationship with the owner just because I can't get a simple form to work, but I don't have the skills to do more than basic webpage design. I am getting no help from the hosting company either, so I don't know if something is not setup properly on their end or not. The owner is adamant that this form be used, so in the event of having to terminate the business relationship, are there any professional web design companies that are recommended?

I'll discuss the options you mentioned mlseim, and again, thank you for the input. Any further questions, please let me know.

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    Do this for me, to see if PHP is enabled ...

Copy the program below to notepad.
    Save it as "test.php"
    Upload it to your website and then goto the URL.

PHP Code:

<?php
    echo "The year is ".date("Y");
    ?>

I want to make sure PHP works, and that you see this on the page: The year is 2015

Let me know

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mlseim View Post
    Do this for me, to see if PHP is enabled ...

Copy the program below to notepad.
    Save it as "test.php"
    Upload it to your website and then goto the URL.

PHP Code:

<?php
    echo "The year is ".date("Y");
    ?>

I want to make sure PHP works, and that you see this on the page: The year is 2015

Let me know
    yes, I saw The year is 2015 on that page once the site was published.
    Last edited by dm1977; Jun 10th, 2015 at 07:56 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    I'll work on a little PHP script that will send your email .... tonight sometime.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads