Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Photo Gallery page

A friend and I are starting our own little mini-business for freelance designing of t-shirts, handlettering, branding, etc. Website design is going to be part of it, and creating our own website from scratch is like our first big project. We've both done some in school but haven't touched it a lot since graduating a couple years ago and are trying to brush up on everything.

Long story short, we have a page on our site called Works, which houses 5 categories: Web Design, Merchandising, Handlettering, Branding, and my friend's college thesis project. I want each of those 5 to be its own photo gallery on the Works page when you click on a category, and then I want each category to have separate works to click into which opens a photo gallery I have set up already.

Basically, Works Page -> 5 Category Pages -> Projects to click into which opens the photo gallery.

What is the best/cleanest way to program this? As of now I have each category set up as its own html page, and then each project also set up as its own page, but is there a cleaner way to transition between pages so that it doesn't look like you are leaving and re-loading the main Works page each time you pick a different category/project? I've got all the basics down but am unsure of how to basically put these pages within pages within pages without it looking like they are on different pages, if that makes any sense. I'm not the best at describing things technically haha. If there's a way to nest all of these on ONE page for clean transitions between everything, awesome. I just don't know how to do it.

So yeah, any and all help is much appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Nick

Member #
    Liked
    720 times
    Hire a third person ... a programmer. You two guys do the design, and the programmer does the development. There is no way you can do both. It will take a ton of time. I could just say use wordpress, but that won't be a good fit for a design company.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Post My opinion

Hello Nick,
    If I were you, I would definitely use Wordpress. Your website is all about design so don't bother spending lots of time coding, instead why don't you spend your time on designing your website? With Wordpress, you will be able to create the layout you were talking about with the Category pages in a matter of minutes.

For your project of having all your pages look like they all are on the same page, it can be easily done in Wordpress too, there are themes made for this. A theme such as Nirvana have a "Column" widget that let you put side by side from left to right and up to down multiple pages using images and text, your visitors only have to select wich page they want to see by clicking on the image. Again this can be set up in a matter of minutes, it is very easy.

I hope this helped you, I wish you good luck with your project.

Member #
    Liked
    720 times
    @Dany-Boy obviously likes WordPress. Perfectly fine.

Dany, if you are an expert at WP and if you even have a business/freelance business, you should post that information in the WDF Marketing Section of this forum. People looking to hire WP developers/designers would be able to find you there. That is the section where WDF allows people to advertise or post about their businesses or services. I mention this because there are people always looking for WP help.

You might want to hang-out here too:
    http://www.webdesignforums.net/forum...-systems-help/

A lot of WP questions are posted.
    Last edited by mlseim; Jun 25th, 2015 at 11:28 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    @mlseim

I do love WP and yes I have a website in wich I give free tutorials about WP. But I did not wanted to spam my link everywhere, I am new to this forum and I am still not familiar with what are good uses of personal website links, that's why I never talked about it. I only like to help others that's the reason why I joined this forum.

Member #
    Liked
    720 times
    @Dany ... that sounds good. I'm sure you'll find people here who need some wp help. Welcome to WDF

Remove Ads