Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Table padding and PayPal Button Problem - Newbie Question

Hello,

I am just starting out with web design, using Dreamweaver (In other words, I'm a complete Newbie). I've been helping a friend of mine by maintaining their website. Recently, they wanted to begin selling some gourmet coffees online and wanted me to set it up. I decided to go pretty simple and create a table of their products with a link to PayPal. I created a shopping cart button with a drop down list of choices then pasted the code into the page. This code appears to be a table, so it is going to be nested in a cell of the main table.

Here is the web page in question: Village Kitchen Shoppe - Whole Bean Coffee

My issue is, when I paste the code into the cell, it creates a ton of white space (i.e., padding) within the nested table that completely blows the main table out of proportion. I think there may be some css coding in the style sheet that is dictating its size and I am not experienced in css to override it.

So, my question is, how can I reduce the padding around the PayPal code to make the button more manageable and bring the main table back into proper proportion?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    This table is what is causing your problem, you have all tables set to 630px wide in your css file.

best fix would be to add a class to all tables and not style the 'table' tag with a width, if you're just after a quick fix though, you can just set the table below's width to 'auto'

HTML Code:
    <table>
    <tbody><tr><td class="class"><input type="hidden" name="on0" value="Size">Size</td></tr><tr><td><select name="os0">
    	<option value="Half Pound, Regular">Half Pound, Regular $8.50 USD</option>
    	<option value="Half Pound, Decaf">Half Pound, Decaf $9.00 USD</option>
    	<option value="Full Pound, Regular">Full Pound, Regular $17.00 USD</option>
    	<option value="Full Pound, Decaf">Full Pound, Decaf $18.00 USD</option>
    </select> </td></tr>
    </tbody></table>

Member #
    Hey Timbo89,

Thank you for the suggestion. I'm still having issues though. I created a class (table, .paypal) and set the the width to 167px. This was created in my table.css file and It seemed to work. However, it seemed to affect tables on my other web pages. (I have a calendar in table form that ended up looking terrible.)

I'm obviously doing something wrong in setting up a class that will target just the intended table cells. As I've said, I'm very new to this and I do apologize for my ignorance. I'm sure you're not here to conduct a course in CSS. It's just that my friend is in a pinch and I was hoping I could help her out.

Would I perhaps need to create an alternate table.css file and build this particular table against that?...

Anyhow, if you or anyone who reads this post could assist, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Remove Ads