Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Hi. I am 18 about to start college at the Art institute as Web Page design as mmy major. I was hoping if i can get some advise and tips on what i should do throughout school and my career. Also, is there any kind of independent work using the skills?
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    "I'll do it later!:tired:"
    - Dan Clarkson (me)

Protonic Studios I DanClarkson.net
    [both coming soon!]

Member #
    I wouldn't know much about to do while in college. Just listen up, if you know the basics, the first semister will just be mostly a breeze. It's a good major to do, right now web-multimedia is booming on the market. All the side stuff like computer repair and networking are low, due to that you can find these informations easily on the web.

Like I sayed before, I wouldn't know what to expect in college because I'm only 15 =P.

Member #
    Liked
    139 times
    Actually, they're in low demand because the market is over saturated with IT geeks. This is a 23-year high in unemployment in the tech industry. Partially because of the dot-com bubble burst, partially economy, partially because of all of the IT geeks graduating.

If you're good, you can definitely get work. Uniqueness and creativity are the key. Never let someone tell you that sometihng isn't possible. It just means that they don't know how. FIND a way to do it.

Check out one of the best developer sites I've ever seen, http://www.whoswestudios.com
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    The IT industry is full of dicks and ppl that no relitively nothing about their jobs..
    I think, to truly succeed in this industry you need to know ALOT about each aspect of your job.
    As for becoming a web developer, you will need good design techniques and a high capability in several programming languages.

But this is only my personal opinion

Member #
    And also, i think a web design course is completely useless in this industry.. Most of the time we know more than the people who are trying to teach us! We end up teaching them...

This is a very arguable statement, though.

Member #
    Liked
    139 times
    Yeah, paper cert people are wankers, but thankfully this slump is weeding a fair amount out. The truly knowledgeable are slowly floating their way to the top, and the word's getting around that certs don't necessarily equate to knowledge. For real world job hunting, lots of proof of your degree is helpful. Anything from a portfolio to recommendations will help you in your search for a career.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    If I were to advise anyone wishing to become a web designer by trade I would reccomend Majoring in business and minoring in design, if not just taking a few courses.

It's REALLY hard to make a living doing web design. Try and think why a company would want to pay you to make a web site. It's plain and simple - the web site must generate revenue (or cause it in some way). To do this you should have a firm understanding of business in general and how people react to certain things. Have you ever walked into a store and noticed the most expesive items are generally at 57 inches? (eye-level). It's not on accident, it's on purpose.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    To make a living out of web design, you will have to do more than just design web sites.
    You could introduce new services such as web hosting, software development, and web site consulting..
    Alot of companies develop some sort of CMS or Ecommerce solution which companies pay a monthly or yearly fee for subscription.
    This is a good way to generate constant profit for your business. But, of coarse, before you can develop something like this, you need the required skills.

Member #
    Make sure you take design courses, typography, graphic communications, marketing etc. A web cert by itself is nothing.... but a cert in design, marketing, typography, color theory etc. has the tools the industry is looking for. And trust me they do still look at your education (but only if your portfolio is good too). This is because you have some ppl that are decent at one thing like php or etc but the reality is when you land a job you will probably end up doing more than one element of design (print, web, multimedia) so dont let anyone tell you that education isnt needed cause theyll be telling you that in the unemployment line.

Member #
    What about that affiliate program to make profits. anyone know of that at all
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    "I'll do it later!:tired:"
    - Dan Clarkson (me)

Protonic Studios I DanClarkson.net
    [both coming soon!]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads