Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: A $10K Website Proposal - Have you succeeded in charging $10K?

Member #

A $10K Website Proposal - Have you succeeded in charging $10K?

I belong to a mailing list hosted by Troy Dean and i received an email yesterday that contained a link to a video and a proposal template that helps freelancers land $10K work.

My question to the forum is, how much success have you had proposing and landing jobs on the upwards end of $10K or higher?

I struggle to charge more than a couple grand for an elaborate website. Am i not charging enough?

Here's a link to the Troy Dean video and proposal template if you want it. Although, word of warning, Troy will ask for your email to get it. [EDIT: link removed by TheGAME1264]

Any suggestions on using Troy's technique or another for landing more cash for website work?
    Last edited by TheGAME1264; Aug 20th, 2015 at 02:57 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    Really? Troy Dean? THE Troy Dean? Not Dean Troyer. Troy Dean. I just want to clarify because of the number of self-anointed expert impersonators out there.

Oh yeah, and you should probably explain this and the affiliate link you buried within 24 hours in a satisfactory manner before a mod who might be suspicious of your initial post removes it and bans you.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #

Sorry

Yes, there is a link to the video in there that i was given to share after watching the video and there's a stupid contest.

If you're more of an expert than Troy, then why don't you actually contribute to my question. What is your take on winning bids that bring in $10k?

His video is worth watching as it explains the structure he uses in his template. Granted, i'm sure there are things missing based on what a client actually needs, but that's up to us to take care of as designers.

If you have a problem with me using this forum or others to ask valid questions about running a design business, excuse me.

So, how do you break down your proposals/estimates to potential clients?

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    Okay, I'm in a relatively good mood, so I'm only going to remove the affiliate link. It's against forum rules, so I'm going to do that. But...I won't ban you for now, because you seem to be in that "blind being led by the blind and lying about it" group of web designers and marketers who think that because someone uses his/her name and markets himself/herself as a brand, said person must be an Internet Marketing Genius. I haven't watched the video and I'm not going to, by the way; 1) I'm not giving up my email address for the privilege and 2) there won't be anything in there that is of any use to me or anyone else. I've seen/heard Internet Marketing Genius pitches 1000 times and I'll hear them another 1000. They don't vary.

Now, let me tell you who knows more about Internet marketing than Troy Dean, in no particular order.

Vapr_Arts knows more about Internet marketing than Troy Dean.
    mlseim knows more about Internet marketing than Troy Dean.
    I know more about Internet marketing than Troy Dean.
    Ronald Roe knows more about Internet marketing than Troy Dean.
    delstu knows more about Internet marketing than Troy Dean.
    AlphaMare knows more about Internet marketing than Troy Dean.
    The average person on the street knows more about Internet marketing than Troy Dean.
    The 85-year-old grandma posting her family pictures on Facebook knows more about Internet marketing than Troy Dean.
    A dog licking potato chip crumbs off of the stomach of its fat master knows more about Internet marketing than Troy Dean.

How do I know this? Because Troy is 100% completely, unequivocably full of crap on a few levels. I'll even post the non-affiliate link below, and if he wants to comment he's more than welcome (I doubt he will, though).

https://get.wpelevation.co/10k-proposal

1) He offers a technique for getting $10K WordPress proposals that will land $10K WordPress jobs based on his knowledge of WordPress, yet he's not even using a WordPress site.

2) He mentions "his" $10k proposal. Not "the" $10k proposal. "His". As in something that works for him and generally won't work for others.

3) He wants people to hand over their email addresses without a privacy policy or an explanation of he'll do with them. No self-respecting marketer would EVER do this.

4) If someone has a proposal technique that will generate 5-digit sales, that person will give that proposal technique or sell it to...exactly no one. Ever. At any point. Why? It's simple; there is more to be made by hiring people to build the sites generated by the proposal technique than it would to sell the "secret sauce".
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Ok, thank you TheGAME1264. It's obvious you do not like Troy Dean or discussing how a designer can make a decent living. Keep up the good work!

One thing before i get back to the REAL QUESTION that does have significant importance to web designers everywhere. TheGAME1264, your posting on a forum that is filled with advertising and essentially affiliate links that earn this site $$. Shame on this forum!!! Well, not really. They're just trying to make a buck!

So, TheGAME1264, how much did you earn designing your "My bowling alley site" you link to in your signature? Or what about the Canadian Postal Code Info site?

I know that every website is not going to bring in $10K. But can we start a discussion on pricing out a website?

What do you charge for SEO? A page by page flat fee? Hourly?
    What do you charge for designing a site? What does designing a site include when you charge someone for design?

Break it down! Share a proposal! If someone wants to have a real discussion here, i will upload an example proposal i've put together for a client.

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    That's just it...I wouldn't reveal any of that information. No one with any self respect would.

Whether or not they're trying to make a buck is irrelevant to whether or not you can post an affiliate link in a comment. It's a rule, and it's their site. WDF Global Forum Rules

The reason I'm "not interested in starting a discussion" is because there simply isn't one to be had. Anyone that has landed $10K websites...and yes, I'm one of those people...isn't going to share that information. They lose revenue and profits. They're not going to sell a proposal book for $19.95 to people if there's a chance they'll lose a $10,000 or greater sale as a result. They just aren't. It's bad business sense.

The pricing formula is based on your individual circumstances and those of the client. That can't be discussed any further. Are you skilled or unskilled? Is the project simple or complex? Is it worth the money to you and the client? That's the nature of a business transaction, and it's a private matter. I don't share pricing as a matter of principle, not just to protect my own business interests but those of my clients; what they pay for my work is no one else's business but mine and theirs. There's a misconception in forums that they're "open", and therefore everything must be shared on them. That isn't the case. Some things should remain private.

The simple formula, if you want to use one, is (your hourly rate) x (time you think it'll take you to do something). But as far as how you develop a proposal and do things like that? It's really up to you.

Member #
    Hi Gang,

I'm THE Troy Dean being referred to in this thread.

First off let me be very clear that I do not stretch the truth in anyway. Anyone with a public internet profile and long term sustainable business cannot afford to stretch the truth - it's bad for business.

@thegame1264 - not sure what I did to upset you so much but happy to help clear things up.

Here's a list of clients who were more than happy to pay my company somewhere between $10K and $20K for their WordPress websites because the websites helped them achieve business goals or solve problems.

The ONLY factor that determines whether or not a client will invest $10K in a website is whether or not they are capable of getting a return on that investment. And if you're an accounting firm charging $20K+ per year for ONE client's taxation needs, them it's a no-brainer.

The technology, design, theme, plugins and other bits and pieces are not what determines the value of a website.

Incidentally, I give away lots of free advice and help to the WordPress community based on my experiences and what I've learnt and yes we also have a premium business accelerator program which over 900 WordPress consultants have been through.

The upshot of this is that the quality of our incoming leads is now much higher because I am seen as someone who teaches others, so it actually helps attract new business.

Oh, and we use some 3rd party tools to build some of our pages because they are quicker than WordPress, however our blogs and main websites are all built on WordPress.

Full disclaimer: some of these websites included design and development - some were dev only.

http://proctormajor.com.au/
    Studio Alto | Brand Design Agency in Melbourne
    Jessica Watson | Youngest to sail solo and unassisted around the world
    Vaada | Victorian Alcohol & Drug Association
    Kitchens, Bathrooms & Interiors | Celia Visser Design, Auckland
    http://videousermanuals.com (my other company)

I hope that clears things up.

Member #
    Liked
    302 times
    Another Wordpress "Guru" selling their secrets to the gullible. There are already a lot of people selling Wordpress design that have little or, often, no knowledge of coding or design. It gives those that actually have knowledge and talent a bad name.
    TheGAME1264 and bleau canon like this.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by delstu View Post
    Another Wordpress "Guru" selling their secrets to the gullible. There are already a lot of people selling Wordpress design that have little or, often, no knowledge of coding or design. It gives those that actually have knowledge and talent a bad name.
    I am one of Troy's students and let me tell you, I GLADLY pay the money he asks every month. The biggest missing element for me was not the lack of WordPress knowledge, I have plenty of that! What was grossly missing was the business of WordPress. I was scraping through literally every month and his courses have helped me change the way I think.

I had no systems or processes and the way I was thinking about business was all wrong. At the same time, from the very beginning, we were asked to really understand Why we do what we do. Just that nugget...just the small mind altering changes in the way I think about my business is enough for me to continue with WP Elevation.

To top it off, not only has he offered insane amounts of value but the community that now bounce off one another is a SUPER awesome bunch. People completely open up and show how they run their business through webinars they have started among one another.

And every Wednesday, I get to Skype with my accountability partner who pushes me forward making sure that what I have learned I am implementing.

I could never be more excited about where I am in my business as I am right now. Not only that, the new revenue has pushed me to launch two internal projects that I know is going to help South Africa in a big way.

In order for me to make profound change in this lifetime, I will leverage off all the greats out there so thank you GAME1264, I will most certainly sign up to your list of gurus too.

I have 3 clients in the last year that have paid me more than $10,000 for a WordPress website and that is thanks not to Troy Dean, but my willingness to change the way I think and that is what Troy's done for me.

Just yesterday, my first recurring revenue client signed up to my monthly maintenance plan, thanks to WP Elevation and they were super impressed by how professionally I had changed my image. So much so that she called me and said she wants me to up HER game to look as professional. Right there is the value I added.

To gratefulness!

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    This.... has got to be one of the most bs threads I have ever seen on this forum. Who do you think you are fooling "troy" and "troys student"?
    TheGAME1264 and bleau canon like this.
    Artificial intelligence is nothing compared to natural stupidity -Someone

Design is a funny word. Some people think design means how it looks.
    But of course, if you dig deeper, itís really how it works.
    -Steve Jobs

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads