Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Wix or Wordpress?

Member #

Wix or Wordpress?

I should introduce myself as a novice when it comes to web design and coding ect, but I am also someone with pretty simple needs.

I have used the free version WIX for the past year to create a very simple photography portfolio, the huge adverts didn't bother me so much and neither did the possible SEO disadvantages because I knew that 99%of the people on the website would be following the link they got from me either online or on a business card.

However I now want to add a blog to my site, the usual top tens, how to's and just general insight into professional photography. Im hoping this will help me to bring in more traffic to see my portfolio. But I need to know which platform would be best to use for this.

My concern with WIX is mainly SEO, I have read a lot about the WIX SEO being pretty bad, and I would like to know if it's true or a myth? Since It would be completely pointless for me to spend money on a premium wix account if no one will ever see the blog and portfolio.

When it comes to wordpress, I understand that it takes a lot more time and effort to make a site but you get more flexibility. However you need to pay for the security of the site yourself and keep updating everything to keep it running smoothly.

I should also mention that I am on a tight budget so I would like to keep costs down where possible.

So I guess the question is will it be worth my time to learn wordpress and create the whole website again or should I stick with WIX?

Thanks for having a read and I would welcome any alternative ideas!

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Notepad or dreamweaver, put a bit of work into your website and get something original....

Out of Wix vs Wordpress, i would go down the wordpress path, but i'd still be looking at coding the site from scratch and just using the wordpress backend as a CMS and in your case for the blog.

if you're still new to coding, try W3Schools Online Web Tutorials ...great place to learn basic stuff and it'll take you through step by step (it's also free :P )

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Quote Originally Posted by timbo89 View Post
    Notepad or dreamweaver, put a bit of work into your website and get something original....

Out of Wix vs Wordpress, i would go down the wordpress path, but i'd still be looking at coding the site from scratch and just using the wordpress backend as a CMS and in your case for the blog.

if you're still new to coding, try W3Schools Online Web Tutorials ...great place to learn basic stuff and it'll take you through step by step (it's also free :P )
    I disagree - the OP (original poster) probably has no interest in learning HTML, CSS, etc, so WordPress will be the better option. Plenty of decent free themes out there that will get him started. It's gotten a lot better a far as performance and security recently. Keep excess, useless plugins to a minimum and using iThemes Security (free edition is fine) to lock down the site and it is unlikely to get hacked.

https://wordpress.org/plugins/better-wp-security/

Most hosting providers have an easy one-click installer. Default settings are fine for most things. Don't bother with an SEO plugin. Unique quality content is the best SEO there is.

WP Bakery Visual Composer is a fantastic (paid) plugin if you want to easily create page layouts beyond just text and images etc. It has built in galleries, videos, sliders, etc.

If you want a more advanced slider Soliloquoy is great.

Oh, and don't get me started on Wix - Wix is just plain awful.
    Last edited by noodles415; Aug 26th, 2015 at 01:17 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I understand why Wix seems attractive, but WordPress is way better. It has great themes and great support and once you decide to get your own domain, it is very easy to upgrade.

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    There's a key passage here that I think most people didn't clue in on right away (bold added by me for emphasis):
    However I now want to add a blog to my site, the usual top tens, how to's and just general insight into professional photography. Im hoping this will help me to bring in more traffic to see my portfolio.
    If you're going to write "the usual top tens" and "general insight", it really doesn't matter what platform you pick because you're doing "the usual". "The usual advice" has already been offered up by others, and likely to the point of oversaturation...if photography is anything like tech in general, then I can guarantee that it has. Before you figure out what platform you're going to use, figure out what you want to say and make sure that it's both original and useful to your intended target market.

Let's use your industry as an example. "The top 10 reasons to hire a wedding photographer" is useless; any customer visiting a wedding photographer's site is looking for a wedding photographer anyway, so you're describing the water to a drowning victim. Something along the lines of "how to allow me to get the best wedding photos" from your expertise and with your own ideas in it...more useful.

Once you've figured that out, then I would do as timbo suggested. If you absolutely must pick between the two, pick WP. If you have the time, however, you should look to doing as much of the hand coding yourself. WP has a horrible tendency to make things "easy" and make a mess of things from an HTML standpoint when it doesn't need to, although Wix is worse in that regard. To give you an analogy, WP is kind of like IKEA; you get some of the pieces you need and you'll have to spend some time putting things together to get something that will "do the job". Wix is the crap you get from a big box retail store; veneer covering particle board that will probably fall apart with any real use. Hand-coding, if done correctly, is you getting in touch with your inner Mennonite and handcrafting something far more structurally sound, with higher-quality wood and better supports.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    There's a key passage here that I think most people didn't clue in on right away (bold added by me for emphasis):

If you're going to write "the usual top tens" and "general insight", it really doesn't matter what platform you pick because you're doing "the usual". "The usual advice" has already been offered up by others, and likely to the point of oversaturation...if photography is anything like tech in general, then I can guarantee that it has. Before you figure out what platform you're going to use, figure out what you want to say and make sure that it's both original and useful to your intended target market.

Let's use your industry as an example. "The top 10 reasons to hire a wedding photographer" is useless; any customer visiting a wedding photographer's site is looking for a wedding photographer anyway, so you're describing the water to a drowning victim. Something along the lines of "how to allow me to get the best wedding photos" from your expertise and with your own ideas in it...more useful.

Once you've figured that out, then I would do as timbo suggested. If you absolutely must pick between the two, pick WP. If you have the time, however, you should look to doing as much of the hand coding yourself. WP has a horrible tendency to make things "easy" and make a mess of things from an HTML standpoint when it doesn't need to, although Wix is worse in that regard. To give you an analogy, WP is kind of like IKEA; you get some of the pieces you need and you'll have to spend some time putting things together to get something that will "do the job". Wix is the crap you get from a big box retail store; veneer covering particle board that will probably fall apart with any real use. Hand-coding, if done correctly, is you getting in touch with your inner Mennonite and handcrafting something far more structurally sound, with higher-quality wood and better supports.
    I used to think so but the quality of the resulting code depends on the theme and if the theme is high quality code then your WordPress site's HTML will be just fine.

Another option would be GetSimple CMS - it's a lot lighter if you just need a basic content management system to build off of, and easier to make a custom theme for.

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    The only problem with that thinking is that you're still dealing with someone else's code. I've seen a bunch of themes, and I haven't seen one measure up as of yet.

GetSimple sounds good on the surface. I haven't played with it yet, though, since I haven't found a reason to.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    51 times

Wix or Wordpress?

You started with Wix because it suited your needs. As your needs grew, wix became less of a solution. You still might be able to get away with adding a blog to wix, but you may not. Furthermore what about the next evolution of your needs, or the one after that? I personally would never use any online builder, wix or otherwise. Wix doesn't allow for control of your code. This is bad updating your websites functionality and bad for SEO.
    With WP, and/or any popular CMS, everything is completely up to you. I personally wouldn't want ads on my site. My site is for advertising my skills, not for advertising knock off Russian Nikes.
    Last edited by brandMatt; Nov 12th, 2015 at 10:59 AM.

My Web Site:
    brandwebdesign.ca
    If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link. Some of us are really insecure and need those likes so that we feel important and smart, so come on, help us out, huh?

Member #
    I have only used wordpress. It is simple to get up and running quickly. There are also many tutorials available on the web to help get started.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I have had clients in the past that migrated from wix to wordpress. I absolutely dislike online site builders. They don't offer much functionality, compatibility, and they steal all the web design jobs from small businesses. I'm all about supporting small business rather than huge corporations.

I heard the problems with wix and SEO have been resolved. I would only recommend using an online site builder if you require a "simple" design that doesn't need much managing.

I use wordpress 99% of the time and it's much easier to deal with. Management, migration, editing, and additions can be made with ease. Wordpress has advantages as far as SEO goes too.

My opinion - wordpress over wix any day of the week!
    brandMatt likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads