Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Where do you get the good photos for your landing pages?

Member #

Where do you get the good photos for your landing pages?

The question in the subject

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I'm not a designer, but I've always been an advocate for "taking them yourself." They're original, they're not stock, and they're your intellectual property.
    mlseim likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    I'm not a designer, but I've always been an advocate for "taking them yourself." They're original, they're not stock, and they're your intellectual property.
    Yeah but that wouldn't be practical for most.

Concerning the question, without paying copious amounts, GOOGLE with public domain and CC Licences. It's timely this way but it's free.
    Here's a couple good sites i've come across in my searchings unsplash all the free stock

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    If its possible take your own photos. That may or may not mean taking the photos yourself. I have the benefit of having a photographer in the family and have taken a class as well, but you may need to hire someone. I have an account on One Dollar Photo Club that has been racking up points I hardly use.. I have used one other stock photo site but cannot remember which. Cc are a pain to go through but if you need free thats what you have to do. Personally I like to avoid them because you never know if the licensing is authentic. Has never happened to me but paying just gives me a little more confidence, and obviously taking them myself leaves me worry free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Quote Originally Posted by breno View Post
    Yeah but that wouldn't be practical for most.
    If you can't afford a $100-$150 camera for your business to take pictures of things, you probably shouldn't be in business in the first place. The camera doesn't just have to be used for website pictures, either; you can use it to take pictures for ads, for other marketing materials, and in certain cases if you need information from a client's location to select the right products/services for a client. Heck, a cell phone can do in a pinch.

I'd suggest it is practical for most, at least in developed countries.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    I've used Fotolia for purchasing images to print. They have always seemed legitimate. Maybe check out their costs for using their images on websites and licencing.

Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    If you can't afford a $100-$150 camera for your business to take pictures of things, you probably shouldn't be in business in the first place. The camera doesn't just have to be used for website pictures, either; you can use it to take pictures for ads, for other marketing materials, and in certain cases if you need information from a client's location to select the right products/services for a client. Heck, a cell phone can do in a pinch.

I'd suggest it is practical for most, at least in developed countries.
    Yes that's true, but there's going to be images that you're looking for that not possible to take yourself, for example a mountain range, city skyline, a person with a certain theme or stereotype, heck even a good picture of a dog. My last client was a Vet who had their own pictures but they were quite lackluster and not suiting for the direction he wanted. So I had to go searching for images, yeah I could've taken pictures of my cat but how many times can that one cat appear on a website? Lol

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    A vet should have access to animals? Could you not take photos of his patients? Aside from things like landscapes your client should have access to the items you need photos of.

As a designer it would also benefit you to learn at least the basics of photography so that you could take your own stock photos. When I went to the snow I took tons of photos, same for the beach, all so I had my own range of stock photos. Last minute may not allow you to do this but if you plan ahead you can save yourself some money. If you don't travel much maybe you can plan trips exclusively for photos.

Im a penny pincher so anything that can save me or my client money makes me happier. Taking my own photos makes me happier in the long run.

Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapr_Arts View Post
    A vet should have access to animals? Could you not take photos of his patients? Aside from things like landscapes your client should have access to the items you need photos of.

As a designer it would also benefit you to learn at least the basics of photography so that you could take your own stock photos. When I went to the snow I took tons of photos, same for the beach, all so I had my own range of stock photos. Last minute may not allow you to do this but if you plan ahead you can save yourself some money. If you don't travel much maybe you can plan trips exclusively for photos.

Im a penny pincher so anything that can save me or my client money makes me happier. Taking my own photos makes me happier in the long run.

Ideally yes, I could've taken photos of clients. Organizing anything with them was next to impossible, the photos I received were late, could barely even get them to review design and its not your ordinary Vet that's unstaffed 80% of the time which I discovered. So I fulfilled contractual requirements and got out of there with lessons learnt lol
    I like your ideas of snapping on the go, something I'll have to keep in mind going forward!

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Quote Originally Posted by breno View Post
    Ideally yes, I could've taken photos of clients. Organizing anything with them was next to impossible, the photos I received were late, could barely even get them to review design and its not your ordinary Vet that's unstaffed 80% of the time which I discovered. So I fulfilled contractual requirements and got out of there with lessons learnt lol
    I like your ideas of snapping on the go, something I'll have to keep in mind going forward!
    Yea it really makes things easier. My sister does photography on the side so I try to sink it in her head as well.. I don't ask everyone but the few people I do know that in my opinion has a good eye for composition and what makes a good photo, i have pounded into their heads to take photos for me as well. I bring this up because you yourself don't need to take the photos if there are others that are more capable and willing to help you out. If you don't have friends or family willing to help you out then you should definitely try to do it as much as you can. If you do I would suggest reading a little about composition and the rule of thirds to help you get some nicer shots. You would be amazed at the sorts of photos you can produce with just a little reading. Even photos from phones can see a dramatic difference from positioning things in a more artistic way

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads