Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Where to Outsource?

Member #

Where to Outsource?

I have been struggling with finding good service for my web design and App development requirements.

I have heard about outsourcing and have even tried it a few times but there are numerous problems attached to it:

- Timing (I am based in Australia)
    - USD vs AUD (Conversion and International TXNs Cost)
    - Language
    - Communication (Skype others)
    - Delivery quality and timelines

I know outsourcing has been around for a long time now but has anyone figured out the solution to the problems above?

Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    Hi there,
    I hope you don't feel I'm derailing your thread
    For my sake as a start up freelancer based in Melbourne, please define 'good service' so I may be aware of whats lacking and that I could work on myself. My father outsources to Nepal and runs into these same issues you described but continues to use it because its cheaper, irrespective if it hurts local industry, but hey business is business right?
    Thanks.
    Last edited by breno; Oct 28th, 2015 at 06:01 PM.
    brandMatt likes this.

Member #
    Hi Breno

I think that's part of the problem, I am not sure what the alternative is. You either outsource or you don't. Its a leap of faith every time you do it.

Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    What are some of the issues you ran into with local developers?

Member #
    Hi Gavin

You might want to try contacting companies instead of individuals on freelancing websites. They are more credible and usually provide better service, but that doesn't solve the rest of the problems that you mentioned like TXN costs and communication etc

If you run a design company you should consider managed services in your location. They are locally registered Australian companies who have their development teams in low cost locations, so they are able to provide cheaper rates. All the TXNs are done locally through Australian banks in AUD.

I am based in Melbourne so I deal with this company called Bended Spoons, they guarantee their projects but I never had to call them on the guarantee in the last 6 months as they are pretty good in delivering.

But the reason I go with this kind of a setup is because I get to meet the project manager face to face and there is nothing like a person sitting in front of you to put your heart at ease.

I hope this was useful

Member #
    Liked
    302 times
    Where have you been looking for freelancers? Are you looking for low prices when you should be looking for the best quality even if it costs more?

I am not sure anyone has truly found a solution. You have to give very detailed instructions and even then it may not be enough.

Most of my outsourcing has been for webpage articles. I have to specify the topic (keyword) to be used in the title and define what the article is about plus an outline (subheadings usually) as well as additional terms or keywords to be included. Even then I always have to use their article as a starting point to get it right - a complete, authoritative article about the specific topic, at least in Google's eyes.

I have found a writer that is really good at including a story but still have to flesh out the article for SEO purposes. So yes, outsourcing is still pretty tricky unless you are extremely good at detailing just what you want. I still haven't gotten there myself.
    Last edited by delstu; Oct 28th, 2015 at 09:01 PM.
    TheGAME1264 and brandMatt like this.

Member #
    Liked
    302 times
    Quote Originally Posted by WillGoodman View Post
    I am based in Melbourne so I deal with this company called Bended Spoons, they guarantee their projects but I never had to call them on the guarantee in the last 6 months as they are pretty good in delivering.
    Hi Wll.
    There are elements of your site that suggest to me that you used some program or software to build your own site. Can I ask which?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Have you tried UpWork? There are individual professionals and companies which could help you.

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    Stu gave the best answer so far, and I'm going to expand on it a bit. I'm not implying that you specifically are doing anything wrong in any of this...I'm just pointing out some of the more common issues.

1) There is no universal solution. Stu is absolutely right. What you need to bear in mind, and what most people forget, is that when you're outsourcing you're still hiring someone...or a group of people in Will Goodman's case. That means the someone or group of people and associated skills are going to have to be simpatico with your wants. If (s)he/they are not sufficiently compatible, then you're going to have to keep looking. That may be part of your problem.

2) Money. You get what you pay for, and that lesson is magnified online. That doesn't mean you have to blow your brains out, but if you're trying to hire a $5-$10 USD programmer from a third-world or developing country and you expect Google engineer quality results, you'll need to temper your expectations.

3) Language. This may be tied to money as well and/or it may be a case that you're communicating subconsciously with an Australian dialect. A lot of phrases don't translate well even into other English dialects. The word "git" comes to mind that way...in Australia and England, it's a pejorative. In the Western world, it's a slang word meaning "go away" that cowboys used to use.

4) I have to disagree with Will Goodman on company vs. individual. It's too broad a generalization. It would depend on the companies and individuals being compared. There are idiot slacker freelancers. There are good freelancers. There are terrible companies. There are good companies. There are all points in between. Again, it depends on what's right for you specifically.

5) This may not be available to you in Australia, but if it is, there's a little-known investing trick that might help you with the conversion fees. It's known as "Norbert's Gambit". The short version of it is that you buy stock in a company that trades in your country and the US, and sell the shares in USD to reduce or lower the currency fees. It works better in much larger amounts, though.

Avoiding Currency Conversion Fees: How To Do Cheap Conversions

6) Delivery quality and timelines. This is where you may or may not be able to solve this yourself. A lot of my clients will organize tasks in Word docs, Excel spreadsheets, or whatever they're comfortable with. I've even got a few that supply me screen shots and alter them. The more you can lay out and the better you can organize your end, the easier it will be for whomever you outsource and the more likely you are to get stuff figured out.

Hopefully that sheds a bit more light on things.
    breno likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Hi Friend!

As you are concerned about where you should outsource than I will advise that place is not a matter to focus but the policies of the service provider his rate for hourly basis & his reporting duration is the thing that matters the most. As you are asking then you should outsource your to any American Virtual Assistants, as they have better client experience & expertise in doing all sort of available work.

Thanx
    Last edited by roberwilliams01; Aug 06th, 2018 at 06:39 AM. Reason: grammar corrections

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads