Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By brandMatt
  • 2 Post By TheGAME1264

Thread: Which web technology should i use to develop a website like linkedIn?

Member #

Which web technology should i use to develop a website like linkedIn?

Hello all,

My team and I were having discussions on which technologies to use to develop our web based portal. Everyone seems to have different opinions and some bring out pretty good points.
    What I need to know is if we need to develop a job posting/recruiting online portal where users are capable of customizing their CVs/Resumes with additional social media functions, which technologies should we use? This is similar to linkedin actually but with extra gadgets which we believe can help the end-user.

Our discussions are about:
    Which database structure we should use, definitely a Nosql solution, but which one? Cassandra/hbase/mongoDB ?
    the functional language? PHP/node.js/angular.js/react.js/backbone.js?
    mobile adaptability? Ionic/ customized android + iOS?
    The implementation stage? Docker/build our own data center, servers/ dedicated server on one of the hosting sites?

Now like I said, everyone has a good point of view, but we want another input on it to help us make our final decision.

Thank you in advance.

Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    This is a ambitious project you have here. I would personally build this site in php and MySQL, with jquery for any client side script. I would use media queries for rwd. I would build mobile apps on every popular platform, using the industry standard languages for their respective platforms.

Most importantly, I would have a branding package developed. Any development would have to strictly follow that branding package.

As for the hosting, I would develop the site on a basic shared server, the migrate it over to something bigger for testing. Probably dedicated Linux hosting.

You only need to post once, in fact several threads gets quite messy. Keep it to one please.
    Vapr_Arts likes this.

My Web Site:
    brandwebdesign.ca
    If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link. Some of us are really insecure and need those likes so that we feel important and smart, so come on, help us out, huh?

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    The reason you're getting several different points of view is because you're asking several different people with several different levels of experience. You're almost never going to get two developers/designers to agree on everything; the best you can hope for is a consensus of compromise, and even that's iffy.

Here's another one: I'm not sure it matters. The reason is that you said your site is similar to LinkedIn, but with extra gadgets. That puts you in one of two possible general scenarios:

1) Your site doesn't take off.
    2) Your site does take off.

2) may actually be more of a problem than 1), as counterintuitive as that may sound, because of what would happen if it does become successful. Web design and development is very much a copycat industry. If one person does something and it appears to work, fifty others have to do it too...including your primary competitor. Now, if you have other ideas besides the one you told us about, then you'll be fine...but if you don't, you'll probably be like a baseball team that's happy to make the playoffs. You'll have a short run and then be done and then what happens? (That's not a rhetorical question, either...it's something for you guys to have to think about and answer.)

As far as what technology to use, you're mixing up concepts and I'm not sure why. My guess is that you're not the tech guy on the project and probably gathering several opinions from several techs and tech wannabes. The reason I know you're mixing up concepts is because you're confusing server-side languages/frameworks (e.g. PHP) with client-side ones (e.g. the Javascript frameworks). The difference between the two is that server-side languages are processed by your web server and client-side ones are processed by the browser. You'll need a server-side language or framework, since a server-side language or framework will read from/write to your database among other things; you won't necessarily need a client-side one other than HTML, although Javascript can help.

Me personally? I wouldn't use PHP, and recommend others do likewise. The reason is that it's a broken framework. I'd explain why, but the person who wrote the blog post below has done such a good job of it that there's nothing for me to add. There's even a breakdown of the generic PHP apologist arguments and some very intelligent counters.

PHP: a fractal of bad*design / fuzzy notepad

Don't have any experience with NoSQL databases, so I won't comment there. My primary experience is with VB.net and SQL Server, and I find it's plenty good enough for any of the projects I work on. I host my sites on a dedicated Windows box as well. So that's probably another opinion that doesn't fit anything that anyone else has come up with so far. But I use what I know and what works for me...and that's what works for me.
    christojack15 and vraising like this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I've personally been in the software development industry for decades, and seen hundreds of languages and technologies come and go.

You will always find advocates for particular technologies. Sometimes their arguments are very good. But except for very specific circumstances, the pros and cons of a technology make no differences.

The simple business fact is that for most large projects, the right choice is the most popular technology.

The reasons are simple:

(1) The most popular technologies are the best supported

(2) The most popular technologies have the most add-ons and integrated components

(3) The most popular technologies make it easy to find developers. And when your original developers move on, you'll be able to find people to pick up the work.

So, based on that logic, I would use a LAMP stack on the back end (Linux / Apache / MySQL / Php), and jquery on the client side.

Remove Ads