Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times

Question Separate mobile site aspect ratio

I apologize in advance if there is a duplicate thread to this, but my need for help is pretty specific and I really don't know where to start a search. I have a client that doesn't want to make his static desktop site responsive with a complete redesign. In short, a separate mobile site based on a mobile detect redirect is necessary to meet his needs. My question is this: At what width do you build the mobile site (i.e., 768px, 520px, 365px) and do you need to utilize @media within the CSS of that site to call out different behaviors at different aspects? I am using Detect Mobile Browsers (js) for the redirect to mobile site. Thanks!
    Last edited by sstjohn; Dec 18th, 2015 at 06:24 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    First of all, a Javascript or any other redirect is not the recommended approach. This is even one of the rare times Google has made a conclusive statement in favo(u)r of responsive design over the redirection approach. So you'll want to get off of the path you're on now.

https://developers.google.com/webmas...e-design?hl=en

If a redesign is out of order, then you can get away with adding media queries to the existing desktop site to make it responsive. Bear in mind that you'll also need to figure out things such as what to do with high-resolution images, Flash movies, and other things that either don't show up or take forever to load on smaller devices. I've used this approach myself a few times. Takes a few hours, but it usually works pretty well.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    If that were possible, then this thread would not be necessary would it? To simply implement media queries would sure make things peachy. Fact is, that is NOT an option. There are far too many variables to just simply "plug in" some generic quick fix. One, its his money. Two, its his site. Three, if we could just wave a magic wand, what then would be the point of this forum? Pay close attention to the question asked please. Coming off as some sort of condescending gurue and offering that which is not possible helps no one but your own ego. Thanks, but no thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    One, I wasn't being condescending at all. I was answering your question and providing you with a logical reason why the approach you're taking is not the recommended approach. But if you'd like another one, here it is: search engines have difficulty dealing with Javascript, and in this particular case Javascript redirects. That means that "he" isn't

Two, you haven't actually showed us the site, so there's nothing other than your word to tell us whether it is or isn't possible. This isn't condescending, but there is absolutely no way to know whether or not what you're saying is true. My guess is...and this isn't me "feeding my ego" or "being a condescending guru" or whatever other bluster you want to throw at me...that you simply haven't figured out how. "Too many variables" doesn't tell us anything, either. So if you're smart, you'll show us what it is that you're working on.

Three, I didn't dictate to you. I expect the same treatment, and I will expect the same treatment of others who will likely say the exact same thing that I just did.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sstjohn View Post
    If that were possible, then this thread would not be necessary would it? To simply implement media queries would sure make things peachy. Fact is, that is NOT an option. There are far too many variables to just simply "plug in" some generic quick fix. One, its his money. Two, its his site. Three, if we could just wave a magic wand, what then would be the point of this forum? Pay close attention to the question asked please. Coming off as some sort of condescending gurue and offering that which is not possible helps no one but your own ego. Thanks, but no thanks.
    Well then, WHY IS IT NOT POSSIBLE TO DO IT RIGHT??? Actual reasons or just your incompetence?

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Quote Originally Posted by noodles415 View Post
    Well then, WHY IS IT NOT POSSIBLE TO DO IT RIGHT??? Actual reasons or just your incompetence?
    "Two, its his site" that seems like a viable reason to me. While we can talk till were blue in the face, sometimes a client/boss is set in their way, and some people don't have the luxury to say no. We don't know his whole situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove Ads