Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Money to spend, need direction for WordPress design/code/launch

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by riggyk View Post
    Also, what are everyone's thoughts on Craft vs WP? -- This has thrown me for a bit of a loop as I wasn't really aware of Craft just now as a web designer recommended scrapping using WP altogether for Craft.. do any of you have any experience or feelings on Craft vs WP?
    I had never heard of Craft until you mentioned it here. I did a little research and really can't tell you much about it, except that people who use it seem to like it. I do quite a few sites in Wordpress - my clients like being able to update and maintain their sites themselves. And I don't want to take the time to create a test installation of Craft to see how it works.
    The two main differences that I see are:
    ~ WP is free, and Craft charges for the version with full functionality
    ~ WP is core code written and maintained by a group of people and Craft seems to have just 2 authors. So even if a couple of WP developers get bored or hit by a bus, the platform will still be supported, - not sure if this is true of Craft
    ~ WP has a HUGE support base of users who are genuinely happy to help you if you run into snags. Craft - I checked the Craft Slack community (1603 members) and the community support page (Craft CMS Stack Exchange) and there doesn't seem to be anywhere near as much as I'd like to see.

I am biased towards WP - I use it and understand it and can explain it in language my non-tech clients can understand. I may decide to try out Craft whe I have some time on my hands but for now, and for a beginner, I'd say WP is the way to go, even just based on the support network.

But no matter which way you decide to go, do whatever you can to ensure that whoever you hire will stay on for the entire project. I have so many client coming to me with "I started with so-and-so and now they have disappeared, gone out of business, won the Lotto, and the project is stalled. Help!" This means at the very least, researching the company or individual. Check out their portfolio - if they don't have one don't hire them. Get in touch with their clients ( I'm willing to bet that many of the sites they have created have contact forms) ask the site owners abut their experience with their project. AND HAVE A CONTRACT!
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Right. -- This all makes sense and I think a designer would be helpful in bringing my aesthetic ideas to life in a "browser-conscious" manner and to help guide the developer transition. -- In the end I just want my site up and running in terms of full functionality and a unique, bespoke, artistic design. -- Do you think this would be feasible for around $2K?

Also, per my comment above any comments on Craft vs WP?

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    In the end I just want my site up and running in terms of full functionality and a unique, bespoke, artistic design. -- Do you think this would be feasible for around $2K?
    The cost depends on what functionality you want, and how you want the site created. I usually give an estimate spelling out the exact scope of the project, and after review and any alterations by the client, it becomes the basis for the contract.

Also, per my comment above any comments on Craft vs WP?
    See my comments in the post above.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMare View Post
    The cost depends on what functionality you want, and how you want the site created. I usually give an estimate spelling out the exact scope of the project, and after review and any alterations by the client, it becomes the basis for the contract.

See my comments in the post above.
    Apologies I missed that! -- Thanks for the color.

So let's say I want the blog to be relatively basic at onset. -- Similar to brain pickings but maybe one extra page for my podcast. The podcast page would be basic.. High level banner display of images to choose from up top, then scrolling blog format of podcasts beneath. Embedded sound cloud clip or something along those lines. But besides that I would want my main page to be a side bar and main content. -- The only real bell and whistle (aside from the aesthetic appeal I like in a site like brain pickings) I'd also be asking for an embedded "shelf" type display of albums of interest at the moment like that of stereogum.com shown in the sidebar. -- Everything else would be pretty basic aside from some design aspects of the site.

Does this make sense? Any idea if this would be reasonable?

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    You got some great advice from AlphaMare.

It sounds reasonable, but we can't say for sure if its enough money because it will depend on some things, like where you live and who you hire.

Do you already create podcasts? Do you mean that the Soundcloud clips will be the podcasts?

If so, and if you go with WP then I do not see why it couldn't be done within your budget. The only big issue would be with the "shelf" feature but even that should be relatively simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Guys/Gals,

Is there any way to sift out reputable firms out there who will work with me on both design and development so as to seamlessly move things from design right up to launch?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Remove Ads