Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sstjohn

Thread: Business owner access

Member #
    Liked
    5 times

Question Business owner access

I have a bit of a complicated issue. I designed a site for a business owner a few years back and it is totally customized for his needs. I usually do all the updates, but he just requested an additional page to his site where he has access to add events, video, news, etc. about his business. He has no knowledge of HTML or how to add or remove content from code. I am afraid that if I build this page for him, he will edit the code in such a way that causes more problems and demands more time to fix. Is there something out there that he can use as a WYSIWYG editor in which he can log into and make changes, then be added to the site dynamically via JS, PHP, ASP, etc or even an iFrame? For instance, he logs into an editor online, makes changes by drag and drop, and whether via the JS, PHP, ASP, iFrame, etc., the content updates dynamically and the source code for the actual page is not altered in anyway? I know it sounds confusing, but I just wondered if anyone out there has tackled a similar issue. Thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sstjohn View Post
    I have a bit of a complicated issue. I designed a site for a business owner a few years back and it is totally customized for his needs. I usually do all the updates, but he just requested an additional page to his site where he has access to add events, video, news, etc. about his business. He has no knowledge of HTML or how to add or remove content from code. I am afraid that if I build this page for him, he will edit the code in such a way that causes more problems and demands more time to fix. Is there something out there that he can use as a WYSIWYG editor in which he can log into and make changes, then be added to the site dynamically via JS, PHP, ASP, etc or even an iFrame? For instance, he logs into an editor online, makes changes by drag and drop, and whether via the JS, PHP, ASP, iFrame, etc., the content updates dynamically and the source code for the actual page is not altered in anyway? I know it sounds confusing, but I just wondered if anyone out there has tackled a similar issue. Thanks!
    You're going to want to build a CMS based on whatever db/server side language you have at your disposal. If you give us some info we can help you. What experience do you have? Do you already have a database? Do you know php or asp?

It wouldn't be code they were changing it would be the content inside the code, hence the Content Management System, or CMS.

You could also choose to use an already built CMS like Wordpress, Drupal, and so on, but that may cause you to rebuild the whole site from scratch on the platform you choose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    [QUOTE=Vapr_Arts;278815]You're going to want to build a CMS based on whatever db/server side language you have at your disposal. If you give us some info we can help you. What experience do you have? Do you already have a database? Do you know php or asp?

It wouldn't be code they were changing it would be the content inside the code, hence the Content Management System, or CMS.

You could also choose to use an already built CMS like Wordpress, Drupal, and so on, but that may cause you to rebuild the whole site from scratch on the platform you choose.

Thank you for the reply. The issue of contention is that there is no CMS in place. I appreciate your insight, but I think I have it figured out. A redesign is out of budget and out of the realm of possibility. Yes, it should have been that foundation from jump street, but it wasn't. I have found a viable work around that I truly believe will work . thank you for your insight and willingness to contribute!
    Vapr_Arts likes this.

Remove Ads