Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Need some help from someone who knows Kompozer or other WYSIWYG programs.

The business I work for has a website that was originally designed in Dreamweaver. After that, we had a web designer who made a lot of edits to the site by directly re-writing the HTML code. The web designer was a friend of the owner, so she charged next to nothing for her work. Unfortunately, they recently had a falling out, and now she won't do any more work on the site. We don't have the budget to hire a new web designer, so I'm trying to make some edits to the site myself.

I don't know nearly enough about writing HTML to edit the code directly, so I downloaded Kompozer. I created one webpage from scratch and it works perfectly. But when I tried to edit some existing pages, I ran into problems.

The first page I tried to edit, all I did was change a few paragraphs of text, and then when I loaded it up, the whole page appeared as nothing but a mass of code. Pictures, backgrounds, everything was gone, and all that was left was a screen filled with HTML code.

The second page I tried to edit, I replaced an old picture with a newer one, and changed the text in a link. When I loaded that one up, the background was still the same, but all the other text and links were missing, along with most of my pictures. The remaining pictures were all pushed together in the center of the page.

I know that unless you saw the HTML code itself, you couldn't tell me exactly how to fix those pages. But does anyone know why this would have happened in the first place? I thought the whole point of using a WYSIWYG editor was to avoid problems like this. Is this a common bug with Kompozer, or is it just me? Does this have anything to do with the fact that the pages were originally designed outside of Kompozer?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    You're right, without seeing the code its hard to say how to fix it, its almost impossible to even start guess what the problem could be too though.

Its probably not Kompozer's fault, but could be. I never used it so I am not sure. It was more likely a human error. You probably have a tag out of place or not closed.

If youre going to do this I'd recommend spending the weekend going through Codecademy's HTML/CSS course. It will help you out a lot!

If you can, upload the code to JSFiddle so we can see it. That would be best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    So, after playing around with this a bit more, it turns out that just by putting the page into Kompozer, the html coding was changed in some way. I don't know if there's a quick fix for this, or if entire pages need to be completely rebuilt. It looks like there may also be old, inactive coding on the page that was supposed to embed an Amazon store, and this could be affecting things too.

Thanks for recommending JSFiddle. I uploaded two versions of one of the pages I tried to edit. The first is the code from opening the document in textedit. The second is the html code as Kompozer has it written.

1. https://jsfiddle.net/vLffwfqc/1/
    2. https://jsfiddle.net/k24hLj8p/

If anyone has time to look this over and let me know what the issue is, it would be greatly appreciated. If necessary, I'm pretty sure I can rebuild each webpage from scratch using Kompozer, but I'd also like to avoid that if possible since it means at least several days worth of work.

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    I bet you I know the answer to this question but I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt. Did you by chance save pages HTML code before you tried editing it any further?

The coding is probably different when you put it into Komposer because like you said you just downloaded it right? Well if the website was originally built in Dreamweaver say a few years ago then I am guessing that HTML code has gone through some changes within the time frame between then and now. This is whats most likely causing you the problems. If the website was originally built with HTML and Komposer is default set up to HTML5 then yeah Komoser is going to try to make sense of the older code. If you still have the original code for the website backed up somewhere you can try importing it and set the settings to receive HTML code rather than HTML5 or what ever it's default is. In the case that you didn't back up the websites code it is going to be a lot more difficult to go and correct the code than to make a new website altogether especially if you don't currently know HTML that well.

Take it as a learning lesson and go with a more non coding reliant web site building client like WordPress. There are plenty of tutorials on what type of widgets and themes do what.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Don't expect that it work out fine for the first try. I suggest you install xampp or wamp in your pc. Download the whole directory of the website and place it in your htdocs or www folder. Activateyour local server. View your site in your localhost e.g. localhost/nameoffolder and see your site.
    Start editing the site using the code editor you want.

Remove Ads