Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

New website help - personalised items

Hi all,

I own a small home-based company selling personalised items in the UK mainly mugs and I am currently attempting to expand onto web-based sales.

I am using Weebly as my website designer.

What I am struggling with is a way to allow the user to create there own personalised designs what they want on the items when purchasing an item and to send that design to me somehow?

I am new to website design so if anyone could help me in anyway or point me in the right direction I would be greatful.

Thanks

Member #
    Ideally something similar to http://www.vistaprint.co.uk/studio.a...Mugs_TsrButton ... Sorry if links are not allowed! mugpersonalisation.jpg

Member #
    Liked
    302 times
    Weebly is a poor choice for a business site! It would likely be easier to do this within Wordpress (wordpress.org, not wordpress.com) or to build a custom site.
    Do you have any programming skills? If not, do you have a budget? I am not in the market for something like this as I am still a few years away from being knowledgeable enough, but some of the others here are quite capable..

Member #
    Thanyou for your comments... I will take a look at the wordpress builder if it is more likely to be suitable for my online business!... I have no budget for this and I am doing it in my sparetime... I have minimal programming skills in regards to website building but I do have experience with other programming languages (C++ mainly) so wouldnt see too much of a problem in learning/utilising programming languages in relation to website building.

Member #
    Liked
    302 times
    Most of the web developers don't spend a lot of time on this forum during weekends so later today you may get more to advise you what languages would work best. At a minimum you will need a database and a program to communicate with it.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Are you looking for some sort of image-based solution that allows someone to upload an image and have it show on the front of the mug like Vistaprint has, or are we just talking adding the text they want?

Since you have experience with C++, you'll find that learning web development is a lot less daunting. JavaScript uses very similar basic syntax in the browser ("front end") and PHP, for the server side ("back end") is based on and runs on C.

That said, it would still be a bit much to learn web development just for a one-off site. I can't vouch for Weebly and whether or not it's a viable choice here, though I suspect it isn't. Normally, I'd recommend you hire out on this one. It is possible and frankly not overly difficult, however using JavaScript's canvas API to do what you're wanting.

I don't have time at the moment to break it down completely, but essentially, you're going to have an image of a mug on the canvas, then overlay the user's image on top. Rather than uploading the file, you can use the fileReader API to convert the user's local file into a data URI (so you don't have to upload the file or refresh the page; all dynamic). Then, when they submit the file, you can save out the file for use in printing. I know that sounds a little confusing, but if you break it into smaller tasks and research each, you can make it happen.

So:
    1. Load mug image in canvas
    2. Convert user's image to data URI
    3. Layer user's image on top of mug in same canvas
    4. Convert data URI to image file on form submit (can be done on the front or back end)
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    What I am struggling with is a way to allow the user to create there own personalised designs what they want on the items when purchasing an item and to send that design to me somehow?

Use Wordpress. It is easy to use plus you can make your own them from scratch.

Banned
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by ReeceHardwick View Post
    Hi all,

Thanks
    Wix, Weebly are not well equipped for full customization. Wordpress is best suited for it.

If you want clients to send you personalised design, then you need to add a form and an upload button. You can also use fancy GUI tools using jQuery / Php. Using these tools you can allow your visitor to design the card or design online and then save the design as a file. Have a look at
    Photo Prints - Personal Gifts

You can try using SASS online tools where client can design...and save the file and send it to you.....

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Plugins to customize products are frequently requested on bidder platforms. They normally need to be developed individually for the target system they will be used in. It is not merely enough to switch to Wordpress, you could equally well choose any online shop software. You will always end up with the same issue that these systems do not natively provide plugins/interfaces for customizing. If you are unexperienced in software development, it will be impossible for you to create such a plugin yourself. You will probably end up paying a developer for developing an individual solution specificially for your need and the shop software that you are using.

Remove Ads