Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By hiitsme
  • 1 Post By mlseim

Thread: Constructive Criticism Please!

Member #

Constructive Criticism Please!

Hi, I would like to have my portfolio site critiqued please. I would like to know thoughts on my design portfolio and website. Any and all constructive criticism is welcome. Thanks so much in advance and I look forward to responses.

http://www.gmajors.com

Sorry I posted this in General Discussion too.
    Last edited by majors0618; Sep 02nd, 2016 at 11:34 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    When it's your work, people will critique it constructively. When it's someone else's theme, they generally won't.

The trend of web designers and agencies using templates for their sites is disturbing and wrong. If you're supposed to be creative, then create something. Don't use someone else's stuff.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    761 times
    I agree with Game1264. At least you could have created your own wordpress theme for your own site. But don't just rename an existing theme, create your own.

What the story with this site:
    Mark 4 Honda (276) 228-3118|Honda|Suzuki|Yamaha|Kawasaki|Dixie Chopper| Service|Parts|Apparel|Used| Mark 4 Honda Wytheville, VA (276) 228-3118

The design on your website doesn't look like their actual website.

Member #
    Liked
    140 times
    I took a quick peek. The biggest issue I saw was the photos are improperly cropped and that really makes them look bad.

For example.

Photo one, top left What is a g Tex and what is a GN HD
    one photo to the right What is HLY SPECIALS
    etc.

You have a menu item marked Portfolio which takes you right back to the home page. I would suggest either renaming it home or making a portfolio page.

I am curious how you determine that you are 85% skilled in PhotoShop and 75'% skilled in InDesign?

Other than using a standard theme and those issues it looks decent. You might want to add more on the footer also.

Member #
    [The GAME1264]
    I would rather use a theme and have it look creative with my design rather than your stuff that looks bland and outdated.

Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    Quote Originally Posted by majors0618 View Post
    [The GAME1264]
    I would rather use a theme and have it look creative with my design rather than your stuff that looks bland and outdated.
    But wait, you claim to be a creative web designer, but you need somebody else's theme to make something creative? Don't see much logic.
    Last edited by hiitsme; Sep 06th, 2016 at 08:52 AM.
    TheGAME1264 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    Quote Originally Posted by hiitsme View Post
    But wait, you claim to be a creative web designer, but you need somebody else's theme to make something creative? Don't see much logic.
    That's because there's no logic whatsoever in that statement. It's an emotional reaction that people who don't know what they're doing use when they get caught doing something wrong but don't want to admit it. The idea is to come up with something so irrational that it can't be countered. It's a variant of what's known as url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_to_emotion]appeal to emotion[/url], and is a logical fallacy.

But let's avoid logical fallacies and stick to the facts.

Fact: I'm not a designer and never claimed to be. I'm a developer.
    Fact: that's a theme.
    Fact: since it's a theme, that's not solely your creative work. It's at least partly someone else's. It doesn't matter whether you customized it or not; the base is someone else's.
    Fact: web design and graphic design are two very different fields.

You seem to have graphic design skills...I say "seem" because you haven't shown conclusively that you've designed anything yourself, and you ahve shown that you'll take someone else's stuff and "be creative with it". That puts your entire portfolio into question.

You don't seem to have web design skills. The ball's in your court once again. What facts would lead us to believe that 1) you have any legitimate web design skills and 2) you're not just another in a long line of "passionate designers" who think that slapping a WordPress theme onto a site makes you a web designer? Show us something.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    761 times
    @majors0618 ...

A success of a website does not always follow the rules you "think" it should, in regards to design. I love to use the example of Ling Valentine's car business. An enormous success, and she probably makes a ton of money ... but look at her website:
    *** LINGsCARS ***

We all know that her site is "over the top", and is supposed to be sort of a parody. That's really the point ... but it works.

In my opinion you are doing nothing wrong with using any existing templates, even if you modify them. I think you should clearly specify that you install and customize existing templates or themes. Nothing wrong with that. Lots of businesses would still hire you to get their website up and running, no matter what the template is (your own, or someone elses).

You asked for a critique of your website. If you ask your family and friends, they would say it looks "amazing", and "it's really modern and responsive". You asked us ... people that know just by looking, that your site is a purchased theme. Yes, it looks OK, but the critique is, "it's not your own".

I guess that's all I'm saying.

Create a bland site, or a site like Ling's Cars, or anything that does not exist anywhere else on the internet, and I'll give you a critique. My own website (my signature below) is 'nothing'. Just a plain minimal paragraph of text. But it works for me, and it works well. I'm not a designer, so I don't really focus on the design, and I don't really care what it looks like.
    Last edited by mlseim; Sep 06th, 2016 at 10:42 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    761 times
    @The Game ...

"Hey, 2003 called and they want their Canadian Postal Code website back".
    TheGAME1264 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    Hush, Georgia Font Boy. You don't get to speak.

Remove Ads