Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Website help

Member #

Website help

Hi

I'm looking for advice, I'm looking to make a website for my shop but don't know where to start or who to use. Can anyone suggest a company I can use and software I need?

Member #
    Liked
    138 times
    I will try and make some suggestions but I am not as expert as many of the others on this site.

First off before I make any suggestions you might be better off hiring someone to do it for you. The advantages is that your time is worth money and you are going to invest a lot of time in creating your own site. The next advantage is that a web site done professionally is going to draw more traffic and convert more customers than anything you do yourself. If it is a simple site it may not be all that expensive.

If you want to do it yourself there are several options. They all have their pluses and minuses. One option would be to use a web site builder or a site that has templates that you just change the photos and text. There are a bunch of them such as Wix or GoDaddy's web site builder. These are not overly expensive but do have drawbacks. One of the main ones is portability. If you make your site on Wix for instance and are not happy you pretty much have to start over other than you may be able to keep your domain name. Another disadvantage is that some of these are not as SEO friendly as some other ways of having a web site.

Another option would be to use a CMS which stands for Content Management System such as Wordpress, Joomla and others. Of those I would suggest Wordpress. Your cost would possibly be slightly less and changing hosting companies or even the look of your website would be much easier. You would have around 10 bucks for the domain name each year and depending on which hosting company you went with most likely under $ 100.00 a year for hosting, perhaps far less.

Wordpress itself is free and a one click install from most any hosting company. Many templates are free and there are a ton of tutorials on YouTube. One word of warning however is that most all the tutorials recommend HostGator as a domain name and hosting company. They don't recommend HostGator because they are better they recommend it because they get a kick back. There are far better hosting companies such as SectorLink. There is also a very helpful thread on this forum titled "What people tell me about WordPress" which would be worth reading. The learning curve with WordPress is a little more than some of the site builders but not bad.

That said, I still think you would be better off hiring someone.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Quote Originally Posted by United369 View Post
    Hi

I'm looking for advice, I'm looking to make a website for my shop but don't know where to start or who to use. Can anyone suggest a company I can use and software I need?
    1) What do you want to sell?
    2) Do you want to take online payments?
    3) What unique features, if any, are associated with your products and/or services?
    4) What is your target market? Local, state/provincial, national, international?

Those are a few of the questions we'll need answered before we can recommend anything conclusively.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads