Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Ronald Roe

Thread: Am i selling myself short?

Member #

Am i selling myself short?

So im just starting to do web design as a side job in college. What i do to save some time is get a bootstrap template and customize it to the customers needs, rearranging things around adding a certain gallery design etc. I am charing $200 for the dev of the site and also helping he customer out with hosting and changing things on the website when ever things need to be changed. Is all this too little or too much for a website? If so how should i go about charging clients.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    You're probably going a bit too cheap, though considering you don't have a lot of experience, I wouldn't go hiking your prices just yet. What you're doing requires no skill and very little knowledge to execute. It is essentially the lowest form of what web developers and designers pride themselves in creating. What you do have going for you is that the customer probably won't know that most of the time if you don't tell them. That's something you can work into your pricing model.

To answer your original question, no, you aren't selling yourself short. You are, however selling me and everyone else around here short. Not that you should stop. You're trying to pull in some money while you're in college. Press on, but understand that this model hurts the industry as a whole.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    So would you recommend using bootstrap as a framework and designing everything custom made for the customer ? As in custom home page etc... ?? Making my own "templates" and if the customer want something unique make it custome made and built it with bootstrap? Im trying to understand why many charge $500 for a webpage when anyone could go get a template and fill it in themselves (unless you try to add things and dont kow CSS and html and some javascript)
    Last edited by logic; Oct 12th, 2016 at 12:18 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    My first recommendation is to stop thinking of bootstrap as a mandatory starting point. It is a tool. If it's the right tool for the job, then go for it, but always consider what the frameworks, if any the project needs. That said, if you're wanting to quickly stand up static HTML sites for small business clients whose only need is for a basic online presence or a launch point for customer contact, bootstrap might be the ticket. For most other things, it's too cumbersome.

Where you go from there really depends on what your goals are. Are you just doing this for extra cash while you're in college, or are you trying to make it your career path? My advice from here will depend entirely on the answer to that question.

And on questions of price: your price will depend on a lot of factors. Some people are perfectly happy milling out basic sites for $500 or less. Some people get more for the same work. It all depends on your market, your intended customers, skill level, salesmanship, etc. Me? I don't show up for <$1500. But I also don't build static HTML sites anymore. When I did, I made $500-ish. I've also never been a template guy either.
    TheGAME1264, logic and hiitsme like this.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    Ron's given you about the best advice you're going to get. It all comes down to five simple words: "charge what your market dictates".

Now, you're new and you're not offering very much. I would say you're charging a little more than I would pay for something like that, but then again...it doesn't matter what I think exclusively. If others are willing to pay you because they think they're getting value, then that's what matters. Again, "charge what the market dictates". With that said...you're new, and you're not offering very much. Customizing a template and using Bootstrap requires a minimal amount of skill and expertise. There are far more advanced concepts and things you can do (e.g. learning a language/framework such as PHP or ASP.net). Or you can learn a specific industry or niche and target it. Or you can learn how to do something very few people (or ideally no one else) can. The latter is extremely hard, but it is doable. If you can up your game and you find a market, you'll get more.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Thanks a lot guys this has helped me a lot. I did a UX internship not to long ago at a fortune 500 company and fell in love with it.Im doing this as a side "job" just to make money but i really love the aspect of getting things together, designing and creating something unique. So my last questions(lol) for you guys would be what is a good path to branch off to. As ronald Roe mentioned he doesnt do any static html anymore. So what else is there to do with these skills sets besides just building sites. If i learn php, ASP.net what can i do with that? sorry if these questions sound noobish. Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    A lot more than you can do with static HTML.

Oversimplified explanation: PHP and ASP.net allow for things such as database interaction (being able to read and write records), e-commerce, and basically any coding where you'd want the final HTML/CSS to vary in some way. If you look at a news site, for example, they can use PHP, ASP.net, or some other server-side programming language to be able to retrieve/display the current headlines and photos with a link to the article for people to read more.

This is the reason you'll make more with a server-side language; very few people take the time to really learn one. Most people are "artistically passionate" and "creative", which is fine...the web world could use artists. The problem is that the web world is 1000-pound-TLC-reality-show-fat-person-confined-to-a-custom-hospital-cot stuffed with artists. That's why you won't make as much; it's the "supply" portion of the supply and demand concept. Artists are in great supply; programmers aren't.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Thanks for taking the time and helping me out. Up until now all ive done was html/css/javascript (because the people that have asked me want was a website for customers to see their work then request a quote nothing that cannot be done using css.html, and some javascript). I will look into server side programming next im thinking of doing ruby and using ruby on rails.

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    I haven't used Ruby/RoR myself. I'm not sure anyone else has on here, either. That may be your biggest issue i.e. support when you get stuck.

Mind you, that shouldn't be a standalone reason not to do something. If you can figure things out on your own and there's a market for them, you're that much more valuable.

Member #
    cool thanks a lot man ill check back if any more questions pop up

Remove Ads