Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Upgrading website, need help with some forms

Hello,

I'm updating dca.net - dca.net.preview.dca.net is the new site I'm working on. I'm going to be putting it on a new hosting platform with a new ip. It's a wordpress site but the original is not. There are a few basic functionality tools like an email autoresponder and password reset tool that I have no clue how they actually work.

https://www.dca.net/support/email/us...l-addons.shtml

I'd like to put that into the wordpress site sortof like I have it here

autoresponder ? DCANet

and have it work but I don't even know where to begin. I have access to all the original site's files if needed.

I'm sure you will need more info and I'll be happy to provide anything you need. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Me

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    What we'll need, you may not be able to provide to us.

Those tools typically rely on server-side code. It looks like the autoresponder/forwarding tool is a CGI script and may or may not interact with a mail server (which is a beast of a job in itself). Password reset: also a CGI script and likely tied to a database backend that's also associated with their customer base (meaning where all the billing info, accounting, support tickets, that sort of thing is).

Since you're dealing with an ISP, you need to be a serious server-side code warrior or you're going to get in completely over your head. WP is not going to help you in any way here...you're entering a whole other universe. Your best bet is to talk to the ISP about it since they appear to be your customer.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    What we'll need, you may not be able to provide to us.

Those tools typically rely on server-side code. It looks like the autoresponder/forwarding tool is a CGI script and may or may not interact with a mail server (which is a beast of a job in itself). Password reset: also a CGI script and likely tied to a database backend that's also associated with their customer base (meaning where all the billing info, accounting, support tickets, that sort of thing is).

Since you're dealing with an ISP, you need to be a serious server-side code warrior or you're going to get in completely over your head. WP is not going to help you in any way here...you're entering a whole other universe. Your best bet is to talk to the ISP about it since they appear to be your customer.
    Yah if I had to rewrite any of the functionality of the .cgi scripts I would get help. One major issue is that I can't even find those cgi scripts. Like if you downloaded a copy of the website, they aren't there. If you login to the current dca.net website via command line to browse around all the directories, they aren't anywhere that I can see. https://www.dca.net/support/email/user-mail-addons.cgi isn't in the www/support/email/ folder.
    user-mail-addons.shtml is in www/support/email, but user-mail-addons.cgi is not. Without the cgi I can't recreate the functionality. So I'm at a loss as to where that would be. I assume it's gotta be somewhere on the server that is hosting the site (it's dedicated).

Thanks for the reply

Me

Member #
    So anyone know how a .cgi file can have an absolute url and then not actually be where the url points? Is that common? I think if I get the two .cgi files I might be ok.

Also I ran ls -a to show hidden files and it still wasn't where the url indicates.

Member #
    So Redirect Tracer says that https://www.dca.net/support/email/user-mail-addons.cgi simply redirects back to https://www.dca.net/support/email/us...l-addons.shtml

So I'm at a loss to how this form actually works

Member #
    I was able to obtain https://www.dca.net/support/change-password.cgi via a website downloader. However, when I downloaded it, it renamed .html instead of .cgi. So I guess .html can just be called .cgi for the purpose of having a forms data go where the cgi config tells it to. So I guess there's some config on the original server that is forwarding data to the dca.net mailserver, but then I don't know where that is configured.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    It likely redirects to the .shtml page when there's no form post request or input.

As far as how a CGI file can have an absolute URL and not be where the URL points, that's usually a URL rewrite that does something like that. In this case, it's probably done using .htaccess. There are some PHP examples here that would give you the idea.

https://www.brontobytes.com/knowledg...-Examples.html

In the highly unlikely event that they're using a Windows server, you'll want to look at the web.config file and any rules in the <rewrite> section.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Maybe I should just move the old website to a subdomain and strip away the stuff I don't need. That way everything would function and I wouldn't have to figure out and odd custom way to do things

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    ...until you find out that the custom way to do things had a reason you never considered and you just pissed off the entire IT team.

Remove Ads