Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Web site that is used for sending and receiving forms. How is it done?

I recently had to sign some legal forms sent to me by my bank. They required I enter an access code and then I was sent to the DocuSign website, I think. When I got there, the document I needed to sign was on the screen. The site took me to the first place I needed to initial and I clicked on it and my initials appeared. Then I'd be taken to the next place in the document needing my initials or signature. It did this until I had completed the document. Then I clicked on "Finish" and the document was closed and I had an email letting me know that my bank had received the forms.

I want to have a website that would be quite like this in so much as I would like to email a form to a client that would then take them to my website and they could fill in my form with the proper information such as numbers and dates. When done the document would get sent to me.

Does anyone know how all this works and how to program it?

Thanks,

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    I'm guessing they used "active PDF" files. These are PDF's created by Adobe that have input boxes on them. This really can't be done with PHP, as far as I know. But, you can use FPDF/FPDI to add text to an existing PDF file and email it as an attachment. This takes PHP experience of course.

What you're talking about doing may not involve a paper printout though. If they have an online form to enter information, that information can be stored online, in a database. Emails and paper are not required. You log into your website and view all saved data. Again, PHP experience necessary.

So in summary, I think what you're talking about is different. They require an actual document (like a PDF). You just want information entered on a form. Not necessarily a paper document.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mlseim View Post
    I'm guessing they used "active PDF" files. These are PDF's created by Adobe that have input boxes on them. This really can't be done with PHP, as far as I know. But, you can use FPDF/FPDI to add text to an existing PDF file and email it as an attachment. This takes PHP experience of course.

What you're talking about doing may not involve a paper printout though. If they have an online form to enter information, that information can be stored online, in a database. Emails and paper are not required. You log into your website and view all saved data. Again, PHP experience necessary.

So in summary, I think what you're talking about is different. They require an actual document (like a PDF). You just want information entered on a form. Not necessarily a paper document.
    You're correct. There would be need for any paper documents. How would I find someone with this type of PHP experience to discuss it with?

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    Any of us that post on the PHP section of this forum (like myself).

Do you have an existing website? If so, who is the webhost?
    What information needs to be taken on a form?
    What has to happen to the data, written to database, emailed, displayed on a web page?
    Do the people that fill out the form and submit need to be registered and logged-in, or can anyone do it?

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    It could be done in theory using ASP.net and the iTextSharp library.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/itextsharp/

I say "in theory" because I haven't had a reason to try this yet myself.

Now, as far as your idea is concerned, one of the major issues has nothing to do with the programming; it has to do with the legal ramifications. How do you ensure that your document is considered "signed" by the person who is actually supposed to have signed it? Is that important to you (and I would suggest that it is if you're looking for a document to be signed)? Depending on your idea, you may want to work in concert with both a lawyer and a developer....and this comes from someone who hates​ recommending lawyers for things in general.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Any of us that post on the PHP section of this forum (like myself).

Do you have an existing website? If so, who is the webhost?
    What information needs to be taken on a form?
    What has to happen to the data, written to database, emailed, displayed on a web page?
    Do the people that fill out the form and submit need to be registered and logged-in, or can anyone do it?
    I don't have a website as of yet, but can do so as soon as needed.
    The form would need numerical input such as prices on items. There is no need to have any documents signed like DocuSign. I only want the numerical data entered and when completed I would like the data to go into a database. The people that fill out the form does NOT need to be registered or logged in. I would email the form to the individual to fill out.

Member #
    There is no need for any signature of any sort. My intent is to make things as simple for the receiver of my email as possible. I have been working on using Access to do all of this but find that getting a form that can be filled out by the receiver and returned to me directly into the database might be a bit difficult.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Then you definitely don't need a PDF app. Just send them a link to an HTML form and validate/sanitize the inputs.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    I'm confused again.

So a person would go to a web page and enter some prices on items.

After they enter the prices, a script should create a PDF file and email it to you?

Is there any requirements for a paper printout (such as a PDF).

Describe the process in detail, like a flow chart. How is entering data, how they know what the items are, and who gets the data.

Member #
    I'm confused again.

So a person would go to a web page and enter some prices on items.

After they enter the prices, a script should create a PDF file and email it to you?

Is there any requirements for a paper printout (such as a PDF).

Describe the process in detail, like a flow chart. How is entering data, how they know what the items are, and who gets the data.
    Example: I send an email with a photo attached to individual. I need their pricing input based on the photo. They would click on a START button within the email and would be taken to a form at my website. The form requires them to enter pricing and a lead time. When completed, they would click on a FINISHED button. This would send the data directly to my database and would also return them to their email page. If I was sending the photo to a few individuals it would not require a web site but I expect I'll be sending emails to a few hundred individuals which necessitates the web site idea. That's it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads