Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Looking for some direction and steering -

Hello,

I hope I am posting this in the correct section.

I would like to build a website almost identical to the one below:

Enfield Council CIL Calculator

I wondered if I could get some guidance on a few questions:

1) How would you rate the complexity of the website from a creation point of view?
    2) I see the website appears to be done with PHP, can you advise how I would go about learning this to do something for the above? Websites/ articles etc
    3) If there is a way to copy the coding and modify it to suit my own needs?
    4) Is there an alternative method I am missing that is more obvious for imitating this?

ALL advice is appreciated.

This is a hobby project whereby I am looking to learn.

Thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    1) Since there isn't a predefined rating scale, I'll use the old 1-10 rating scale. I'd give it a 7, maybe an 8. The complexity largely comes from the number of calculations and the different formulae used to calculate the liability charge per area, the exemptions, things like that. Since you're doing it as a hobby: a 13. Again, primarily due to the formulae. Good project to learn from if you can figure it out, but you're going to put your head through several walls trying.

2) There really isn't anything I've seen quite like it. It would have been built specifically for the City (Town? County?) of Enfield. So you won't be likely to find anything specific to it; this is the net result of someone (or a team) spending a lot of time with a lot of testing and a lot of feedback and potentially a lot of lawyering since it's a government calculator and involves liability.

3) You could copy the client side code (as in the jQuery and HTML). You won't get the formulae, though.

4) Probably not.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    1) Since there isn't a predefined rating scale, I'll use the old 1-10 rating scale. I'd give it a 7, maybe an 8. The complexity largely comes from the number of calculations and the different formulae used to calculate the liability charge per area, the exemptions, things like that. Since you're doing it as a hobby: a 13. Again, primarily due to the formulae. Good project to learn from if you can figure it out, but you're going to put your head through several walls trying.

2) There really isn't anything I've seen quite like it. It would have been built specifically for the City (Town? County?) of Enfield. So you won't be likely to find anything specific to it; this is the net result of someone (or a team) spending a lot of time with a lot of testing and a lot of feedback and potentially a lot of lawyering since it's a government calculator and involves liability.

3) You could copy the client side code (as in the jQuery and HTML). You won't get the formulae, though.

4) Probably not.
    Thanks for the feedback.

I am a Town Planner by trade so the actual formulae itself is not a problem, I am more interested in how to make the calculator itself.
    For example I can probably put together the actual calculations relatively easily on a spreadsheet, its just how would I go about making it into something like the website above.

Thanks for your input.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    That would depend on the language/framework being used. Pretty much all of them have some way to perform various forms of arithmetic. You could also potentially use a database such as say MS-SQL that also incorporates mathematical calculations and have functions such as SUM to be able to add things together.

Once you figure those things out, it's all a matter of outputting things using HTML, CSS, and in this case JavaScript (jQuery).
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    This might be a stab in the dark, but you should email that company and see if they, or their web developer would be able to tell you how they did it. Not necessarily give you code, but direction on how it was done. Many people are friendly and helpful and appreciate the attention. The worst thing they could say is no, or you don't get any answers. I've had people ask me about my website and I practically tell them everything except the actual scripts. All of this stuff doesn't have to be secretive.

Remove Ads