Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Need a simple bit of code for my band to share project zip files on website

Hey guys,

I have a basic knowledge of HTML, a little CSS, touch of PHP and so on.. can modify fairly well but to be fair am not a web designer by any stretch -- I'm on the other hardware end of things.

At any rate -- My band exchanges files almost explicitly online. From our DAW we zip our project files and send them from one member / musician to the next to add their part if you will.

We've been doing this via Email but it's becoming convoluted, confusing, etc as the songs and iterations of songs pile up.

I have a website - a large hosting package from GoDaddy that I use for a different purpose but it is full featured with all capabilities and basically I'd like to add a www.mydomain.com/band section.

All I need in this section is the ability for anyone (can be a single password to get in, or even none at all to be honest) -- For all of us to go to said URL, and have an easy interface to upload a file. Also be able to download any files (So having the files in that folder of the FTP server would be be ideal) that have been uploaded.

So that's it.

1) Show files in a single directory off an FTP Server (hosted off a GoDaddy package if relevant)

2) Upload button and ability to upload files several hundred MB in size or larger.

3) Be able to select a file and click download.

It seems quite basic - but I've searched and searched for hours and I can't find anything that quite fits this. I've found an upload script -- Sort of a download snippet -- a few web FTP interfaces but nothing just for those functions (Only 5-6 people would use this).

Some of the band members aren't technically inclined at all so simplicity is key, otherwise letting them log in via an FTP client would be fine.

I hope I don't get beat up for asking for some advice, help, point in the direction of something that does this/code to put on site etc -- But I would really appreciate any help.

Thank you,

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    Using php and MySQL/pdo for the database. The files will be stored in a directory, but the file names, comments, etc will be in a database for creating the user interface. You would need to ask godaddy if you would be allowed to upload a file size of 500mb maximum using php. If you don't think you'll ever upload larger than 500mb that is.

you would create a database in MySQL with your control panel, a database table with columns for an index, file name, title or description, time stamp, revision, and or any other things you need to know. Do you know anything about MySQL? PM me with questions or more info you don't want to make public.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mlseim View Post
    Using php and MySQL/pdo for the database. The files will be stored in a directory, but the file names, comments, etc will be in a database for creating the user interface. You would need to ask godaddy if you would be allowed to upload a file size of 500mb maximum using php. If you don't think you'll ever upload larger than 500mb that is.

you would create a database in MySQL with your control panel, a database table with columns for an index, file name, title or description, time stamp, revision, and or any other things you need to know. Do you know anything about MySQL? PM me with questions or more info you don't want to make public.
    I don't think I actually have a limit on PHP Max - though I know PHP likes to 'time out' on anything beyond X MB.

Here's what Godaddy states:

Screenshot by Lightshot

I run a Linux Cpanel -- and I just modified the php5.ini (had to add it actually) to increase max upload size to 1000MB.

The last I really honestly messed with SQL was in college in the beginning of a Database class for CS Degree -- and that's been a looong time lol. So no, not really.

Is this the easiest and quickest/best way to go about allowing file uploads, downloads, and to see them? I wouldn't have a clue what to code - but I know anything will fit and work in my hosting platform.

I was thinking maybe some sort of PHP and AJAX combo but you guys know best. Just whatever is reliable to be honest -- So we can see the files , download, and upload (without timeouts). Really just needs two functions and a file listing I suppose.

I'm surprised there's not 100 dozen code snippets written that would do something like this ?

We wouldn't be uploading anything over 500MB -- It's 'possible' but thus far it's typically 100-200MB per DAW project file so we'll stay under the 1GB mark and likely under 500MB mark - as these are near lossless audio files from many tracks thus file size can get a little inflated before it's mixed/mastered down to one track.

Thanks for your help - I obviously need it!

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    This weekend, I'll come up with some PHP scripts you can upload and try out. It uses PDO MySQL which is the newest data object connected with mysql. You'll have to attempt to create a MySQL database and database table. I'll need this information:
    database host
    database name
    database username
    database userpassword
    the name of the table you created

You can use the PM feature to let me know this information (privately).

If you're really stuck, I would have to access your control panel, which means I would need your account login. The scripts I have, you will upload to your website. Create a directory called "band" and within that a directory called "files". The scripts will go into the "band" directory, and the uploaded files go into "files". If you can get a database created, I'll just send you one simple script to test the database, making sure it connects using PHP.

Also, besides the filename itself, what other information would need to be in the database? Those things will be columns in the database table. Like title, description, last update date, name of person that updated it last? Things like that.

So, in summary, I can feed you the files and you do the uploads and such yourself, or trust me enough to access your control panel. PM me with more information and through PM, we can exchange real email addresses.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mlseim View Post
    This weekend, I'll come up with some PHP scripts you can upload and try out. It uses PDO MySQL which is the newest data object connected with mysql. You'll have to attempt to create a MySQL database and database table. I'll need this information:
    database host
    database name
    database username
    database userpassword
    the name of the table you created

You can use the PM feature to let me know this information (privately).

If you're really stuck, I would have to access your control panel, which means I would need your account login. The scripts I have, you will upload to your website. Create a directory called "band" and within that a directory called "files". The scripts will go into the "band" directory, and the uploaded files go into "files". If you can get a database created, I'll just send you one simple script to test the database, making sure it connects using PHP.

Also, besides the filename itself, what other information would need to be in the database? Those things will be columns in the database table. Like title, description, last update date, name of person that updated it last? Things like that.

So, in summary, I can feed you the files and you do the uploads and such yourself, or trust me enough to access your control panel. PM me with more information and through PM, we can exchange real email addresses.
    That's amazingly generous of you. Yes, I will take you up on your offer. I can *probably* let you feed me files and I'll place them -- but I'll also 'trust' you with the entire account if necessary. I'll send you a PM to get the conversation started.

Remove Ads