Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mlseim

Thread: Building my first website can anyone help me to understand eCommerce

Member #

Building my first website can anyone help me to understand eCommerce

Hi I am new here and have never built a website before. Can someone guide me on the right path for setting up my first ecommerce site? Should I use html and css? how do I make an admin account to login so that new stock can be updated? and payment and shipping setting up? I know this is all a lot but if anyone has any quick tips or guides to put me on the right track would be great

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    The first part of ecommerce would be to determine how the credit card transactions will happen.

There are several credit card merchants to choose from, and two methods:
    1) Simple integration, like PayPal, where a user leaves your site and goes to the cc site to enter their cc information. Then they are returned back.
    2) Advanced integration, like authorize.net or stripe.com, where you are required to have a secure site and the user enters their cc info on your website. They never leave your site.

Some cc merchants charge monthly fees, some have fees only for percent of sale plus a transaction fee. Some have sale limits unless you pay for a "pro" service. Some are connected directly to your bank account, some do not (you have to withdraw from their internal account).

Once you sift through all of that, then you have to find a website "backend" or "system" that has the proper gateway to work between your website and your credit card merchant. Some people use Joomla, some use WordPress with WooCommerce, some make their own.

Without any experience, you will probably end-up hiring a programmer. No way you could do your own site without experience.

So ....

You might want to use an ecommerce hosted service, like Square.com

With these services, you create an account and build your site within their website ... they have a pre-canned site builder with templates. You can check out square.com and see if that type of hosted website would work for you.

Finally ...

What are you selling? Have you done your homework, like determining your demographics and finding out if anyone will use your website? Are you willing to advertise? Can you afford to advertise? Just having a website doesn't mean anyone will visit. It takes months to even get listed on Google. Are you ready to handle bad transactions, failed transactions, shipping problems, damage returns, customers not satisfied, keeping your site updated and current, and on top of it all, actually stocking and shipping your items?

Good luck, you have a huge project ahead of you.

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    With their help, you can easily make your e-store
    .. as in hiring a programmer ... original post says, "Hi I am new here and have never built a website before"

Member #
    Can anyone explain me about benefits of E-commerce???

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    @neena, is that a real question?

Read this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-commerce
    busso likes this.

Remove Ads