Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    11 times

can someone explain to me

what cloud or cloud computing is, ive heard so many different definitions

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    Busso,

When I started in the computer industry, everyone had terminals. They connected to mainframe computers either through wired networks, or dial-up modems. The mainframes ran the software they needed to get information, save information, etc. CompuServe is a good example of the type of service I used. I connected to them via a modem and saved all kinds of data on their server. They also had a "chat room" where I could message people in real time. People would talk to each other in real time, like a social online party. It was ahead of its time. But we payed "by the minute" for CompuServe. It was expensive.

Then personal computers came along around 1984 ... IBM PC's and then the Mac computers. Businesses and then homes now had their own computers to run their own software, word processors, spreadsheets. They had their own hard-drives, printers, mass storage, and in some cases, they connected their computers to each other. Mainframes went away in the most part, and servers became the new "mainframe".

Then the internet came along ... Now people could dial-up and connect to servers that where they could rent storage space (for websites). Storage was limited and expensive at first, so people worked locally on their computers, and then traded files, uploading and downloading from webhost servers. As the years went by, people realized that they don't really use their computer programs anymore. They do their email online. They can do word processing online, spreadsheets online. They only need a browser. Why have an expensive computer with software to purchase when you only need a browser?

Now, it has come full circle. People are going back to terminals (apps, browsers, smartphones, tablets). They use devices and computers that have a terminal-like interface (the browser), and all of their data and in many cases, the software itself is run on remote servers (the "cloud"). We can do just about everything with just a browser. Online services provide the websites that have the software, like Google Drive, Google Docs, etc.

Basically, we are going back to 1978. We didn't call it the "cloud" back then, it was called "mainframe computers". Back then, computers were centralized. That's the big difference. The "cloud" isn't centralized. Your data can be scattered all over the place. It's not a bad thing though, because you can access your data from anywhere in the world without needing your personal computer with software. The bad part is that someone you don't know is holding your data, hopefully in a secure manner, and in a way that it won't be destroyed, stolen, or corrupted.

Cloud server businesses offer a lot of other services though, than just storage. It probably isn't fair to say "cloud" is similar to "mainframes", but having lived in both worlds, I see many similarities.

Member #
    cloud computing is a kind of outsourcing of computer programs. Using cloud computing, users are able to access data from wherever they are; the computer programs are being hosted by an outside party and reside in the cloud. This means that users do not have to worry about things such as storage and power, they can simply enjoy it.

Member #
    Cloud computing is a more robust environment for software, and applications to run that don't need dedicated hardware from the user. You can own a laptop, or mobile phone with limited capabilities, yet because many of the programs or apps feature resources are being run in the 'cloud'. You can maximize your hardware. It is technology that lets you access the data wherever you are without having it be stored on your local device directly. Just like a website cloud computing data and services can be hosted remotely in data centers who redirect that particular application or program directly to your hardware. If you have an idea of redirecting websites, and hosting then you can learn more about cloud computing.

I found this website pretty helpful to learn about redirecting. www.redirectyourdomain.com the site gave me a run down on the idea of cloud computing which made the subject click for me. Not sure if it directly answers your questions. I think it'll be helpful nonetheless.

Remove Ads