Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By mlseim
  • 1 Post By delstu

Thread: Website Business Idea

Member #

Website Business Idea

Hi,
    Soon I will be finishing my last semester for web design and for months I have been trying to figure out what I would like to do. It is very frustrating. I really would like to produce my own site but I am clueless as to what I can come up with that is different/unique...something that I enjoy. I am a parent and enjoy this subject but there is already a host of parenting sites out there. I thought about doing a local directory but it seems that alot of people have said they dont workout well.

I really want to do something that could help my family financially...we really need it....Of course I could offer design services, but I have really no work to put in a portfolio...people want to see what you can do and in all honesty I feel like I need more hands on practice(or perhaps I am just doubting myself)...lol...I definitely can not create something that look like a wordpress theme just yet...anyhow, any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    A tough spot to be. You went to school, took classes, paid money, and now are not sure what to do. You took web design, and I assume you didn't do any web development. You don't know PHP, PDO, MySQLi, JQuery, Perl, etc. ? The design aspect is just design. You need to partner with someone who does programming and development. Someone that doesn't have design skills.

For a portfolio, just make-up some fake companies and do some HTML/CSS web pages that show your design for layout, color, typography, and ability to be responsive, so the layout changes based on device used (screensize).

To do a real working site, you're going to need server-side scripting experience. No way around it.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    A "host of" anything shouldn't be a deterrent in and of itself. If you have a unique take on a topic and can come up with original content, that's a start.

As far as local directories are concerned...depends. If you're talking "generic list of local businesses", Google My Business has pretty well cornered the market. If you're talking "local directory with some twist unique to the area", you may give yourself a puncher's chance.

One way or the other, Max is right. People understandably place a lot of emphasis on design because it's what they see, but with a good site it's at most 5% of the overall product. The real effort is in development; that's where databases are read from and written to, it's where dynamic pages are created, it's where forms are built, and all that other good stuff. So if you have an idea, you're probably going to need to learn some server-side stuff to get it off the ground.

I wouldn't make up fake companies, though. If anything, use your ideas to develop skills by solving issues related to them and you'll have real sites in your portfolio to show people.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    Or make a free website for a local non-profit in your area.
    But you'll need server-side scripting.
    TheGAME1264 likes this.

Member #
    Thank you both for responding...I do have some experience with PHP, Java, and JS...I need to brush up on those skills...offering a free site to a nonprofit biz or even a friend does sound good...I will keep brainstorming...perhaps I can think of a "twist" to creating a directory. Thanks again for the input.

Member #
    Liked
    300 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    One way or the other, Max is right. People understandably place a lot of emphasis on design because it's what they see, but with a good site it's at most 5% of the overall product. The real effort is in development; that's where databases are read from and written to, it's where dynamic pages are created, it's where forms are built, and all that other good stuff. So if you have an idea, you're probably going to need to learn some server-side stuff to get it off the ground.
    I would just like to add that too many designers place design first when the real purpose of design is to showcase your content to its best advantage. Yes, you want an attractive site, but the actual reason for your target market to visit your site is your content. Content can be your product or your site can be based on articles. Selling your own product is far more profitable than Adsense and affiliates.
    TheGAME1264 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    And some websites are not web pages at all. Some sites are simply a UI (user interface) to a database of some kind. Or an API that can be used by another website or app. An example would be something like this: Green Line Light Rail Real-Time Locations

That page is just a Google Map mashup that shows the location of light rail trains in real time, using the Twin Cities Metro API service. The whole page is just the Google Map. You can use a website for things other than web pages too. Maybe just a place to store data.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Quote Originally Posted by delstu View Post
    I would just like to add that too many designers place design first when the real purpose of design is to showcase your content to its best advantage. Yes, you want an attractive site, but the actual reason for your target market to visit your site is your content. Content can be your product or your site can be based on articles. Selling your own product is far more profitable than Adsense and affiliates.
    Affiliates? Absolutely. Adsense? I can't speak for anyone else, but I've noticed about a 33% uptick in revenue over the past several weeks. They've done something to it, but I'm not sure what.

Now, do I make a living off it? No, and I'm not going to make Warrior Forumesque claims of millions of dollars in my underwear...yet. But it definitely is putting some significant coin in my pocket.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    I use Adsense. As you know, when a month goes over $100, you get a check on the following 21st of the next month. Over the past few years, I would get a Google check maybe 2 or 3 times a year ... no big deal. Well, over the past year (2016), I've been getting a check almost every month. So, you're right ... something has changed. I think I get credit for just having views of the ads on my site, even if people don't click on them. My site visitor stats have been the same for the past few years. Also know that Google sends a tax report every year, so you do have to pay taxes on those earnings.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mlseim View Post
    I use Adsense. As you know, when a month goes over $100, you get a check on the following 21st of the next month. Over the past few years, I would get a Google check maybe 2 or 3 times a year ... no big deal. Well, over the past year (2016), I've been getting a check almost every month. So, you're right ... something has changed. I think I get credit for just having views of the ads on my site, even if people don't click on them. My site visitor stats have been the same for the past few years. Also know that Google sends a tax report every year, so you do have to pay taxes on those earnings.
    That was similar to my situation a few years back. I can even pinpoint the exact date I noticed the first uptick: December 24, 2010. Google definitely evolves things and it works well for publishers who can just focus on their content and sites. I'm going to attempt to devote more time in 2017 to my Adsense projects.

And yes, you do have to pay taxes on those earnings. No good site goes unpunished.

Remove Ads