Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Ecommerce

Member #
    Liked
    11 times

Ecommerce

I have been tasked with the job of building an e-commerce website capable of retailing 20,000+ product lines, in several different categories and sub categories. Although my employer is willing to wait the year while I get myself ciw certified so I can code the site myself I would like to be able to provide the product sooner so.... can anyone recommend an e-commerce website builder that will cater for those specifications and also provide safe and secure payment methods?

It's in the companies best interests to get this up and running as soon as possible so any help greatly appreciated
    Teenauk likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    Their 20K product lines .... do they have photos and information already available for those 20K things?
    Who will be entering everything into your database? Even if you start today, right now, you'll have to enter 55 items into the database each day, for 365 days, with no days off, to get all 20K items into the website. You had better stop reading this forum right now and get cracking buddy!

Pick your ecommerce and database carefully, because it could be hard to convert and transfer all 20K things to another database. Each item the business has might have multiple photos, description, cost, inventory, options, etc. And their inventory is changing daily. You have to manage that too, while it is happening.

They can't just hire someone else to enter all of the data because you have to get the ecommerce site working first.

Just pick any e-commerce, such as Joomla, Drupal, or even WooCommerce on WordPress. It doesn't matter, they are all the same. Anything online is as secure and manageable as anything else online.

Tell the business that they have to get ready to advertise too. Nobody will visit their site just by accident, and it can take months to get listed on Google.

Like I said, you will be really busy, so hopefully they compensate you for your time, and you won't have time to ask questions here ... it might take us a day or two to answer. You need answers immediately when you run into problems. Google is your friend.

Good luck Busso. I'm glad you got that job, and wish you lots of success.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    There's a certification for e-commerce? That must be worth...no more than $0.00 CDN (use xe.net to convert to your local currency).

As far as what you have to do, you might not have to enter the 20,000 items yourself. Chances are the 20K items are stored in some form of a database somewhere and, depending on what you're using, may be exportable/importable to other formats. That may well dictate what you can and can't use.

If I was going to recommend a third-party cart...and I don't recommend third-party carts...I would say BV Commerce - ASP.NET shopping cart . It's an ASP.net cart, but it can handle quite a few customizations and non-standard products and services. One of my clients uses it to sell products and services related to NHS (defibrillators, course certificates, certification training, books, pens, all sorts of crazy stuff).

Do not, do not, do NOT under any circumstances use WooCommerce. It's bloated, it's clunky, it uses a ton of resource, and it wasn't built for e-commerce (yes, I know it's called WooCommerce and I know what everyone who uses it says about it...populism does not a valid argument make).
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Their 20K product lines .... do they have photos and information already available for those 20K things
    one photo per item, on maybe about 10% of their products, info on all, but mostly just titles and price

Even if you start today, right now, you'll have to enter 55 items into the database each day, for 365 days, with no days off, to get all 20K items into the website
    right now you've just reminded me to go check their database server, I'm hoping it is some sort of sql where I can non-chalantly write a easy and simple script that will essentially copy it all over... lollollloll as if. they do have a database and dedicated internal server. which could be good, or it could be bad

Pick your ecommerce and database carefully
    I'm probably going to go with MySQL for the database, simply because I'm about to start covering it in an online course I'm doing, what do you think? as far as ecommerce goes, this is a completely new area to me so I'm all ears, whats the architecture like for an e-commerce application, I'm hoping (but doubtful) that its just sume sort of simple plugin cart

Good luck Busso. I'm glad you got that job, and wish you lots of success.
    thankyou

If I was going to recommend a third-party cart...and I don't recommend third-party carts...
    if I can learn to code my own cart, have it secure with pay online with card type setup, id definitely be interested in learning, I was just hoping there would be an easier and faster option, I don't yet know what it takes to make a site secure

as always lads thanks for the great advice, I'm going to check their server right now and ill be back here after

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    I just got back from their place of business to check their server, its a Linux operating system, and I need a login pw to get into it which they don't have, I have no experience with this stuff so what can I expect to find once I gain access? will it all be neatly laid out in directories similar to whats on a windows machine?

the spec of the machine itself reads "redhat Linux release 9 (shrike)"

honestly I was expecting to have to manually upload their products anyway because the data they have for each stocked item is fairly limited, they use one (fully online) system for finding part numbers and a second internal ntwork for allocating stock

I have one advantage here, and that's having a lot of time on my hands, and if I pull it off, theres a good chance that their will be a full time job in it for me

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    So they have their own server? Or is their website on a shared webhost? And they have or do not have an existing website?

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    They don't have a website and it's a server for a local network, in house job, it's part of the system they use to manage stock flow. It's pretty much useless to me I'm certain I'll have to upload them manually I just hope I average more than 55 a day lol

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    And how do they plan on connecting their site to the internet. Just the website itself needs a webhost server. They may not want to put their server online, as it is susceptible to hacking. In my opinion, they should be purchasing a webhost account with a virtual server, on a webhost like GoDaddy (the only thing that came to my mind at this moment). Do everything on someone elses server and get it all working without disturbing anything local. Separate yourself from them and work on the side. Even if you have to purchase the webhost account yourself.

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    yeah i will be going with a third party web hosting company like godaddy

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Avoid GoDaddy. They once lost a database I had created on one of their servers and I had to completely recreate it from scratch. Fortunately, I had the database creation scripts along with backup copies of the data but it still set me back 3 hours; more importantly, this is a cardinal hosting sin.
    busso likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads