Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By DylanMRussell
  • 3 Post By Ronald Roe
  • 1 Post By DylanMRussell

Thread: What is the best solution to design a site for this client?

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

What is the best solution to design a site for this client?

Hello, as you'd expect I'm a very new web designer, and have been creating a few websites using Adobe Muse.

So far it's been fine, my clients until now have just needed passive temporary websites that didn't need to do more than collect some information or act as a portfolio.

But now I have a client who is wanting to hose a blog and a store as well, and I'm wondering how I should approach this? She originally just wanted a wordpress site, she isn't demanding much. But I'd really like to provide a nicely designed site, and avoid templates.

For the most part I could create the site fine. But I'm wondering how I would 'hand the keys' over to the client for her to load content to in the future. She's going to need to be able to make posts to a blog and edit content of her own store.

So is Muse the best solution here? Should I move forward into Dreamweaver (I'm not against learning it)?

Or is there another option like wordpress, but with more control on the design end? Something I can have complete control of design, layout, etc but still be simple enough for a non-tech savy client to control and edit.

Thanks much!
    Teenauk likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DylanMRussell View Post
    .So is Muse the best solution here? Should I move forward into Dreamweaver (I'm not against learning it)?
    No and no. Muse, BTW was developed as a replacement for Dreamweaver, so "learning Dreamweaver" would be a literal step backward.

Quote Originally Posted by DylanMRussell View Post
    Or is there another option like wordpress, but with more control on the design end?
    Exactly what design control do you feel like you're missing? Wordpress may not be the best solution for everything like some will slobber all over themselves to tell you (cue GAME's anti-WP rant), but there is nothing hindering you from a design perspective in WP. The only obstacle you have to face in terms of WP is your own coding capabilities. That's fixed easily enough through learning. I build WP themes from scratch for my clients where WP makes sense. I have only customized a theme for a client once, and that was because it was part of the terms of the job. It is far easier than you would suspect to build something as custom as you want it to be than you think. Themes, after all are developed by people one way or another. It's just a matter of whether you want to implement someone else's work or do your own. Wordpress is nothing but a tool that exposes an API. You implement that API how you see fit, or simply tweak someone else's implementation. Either way, it's 100x more flexible than anything you'll build in Muse/Dreamweaver.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Roe View Post
    No and no. Muse, BTW was developed as a replacement for Dreamweaver, so "learning Dreamweaver" would be a literal step backward.

Exactly what design control do you feel like you're missing? Wordpress may not be the best solution for everything like some will slobber all over themselves to tell you (cue GAME's anti-WP rant), but there is nothing hindering you from a design perspective in WP. The only obstacle you have to face in terms of WP is your own coding capabilities. That's fixed easily enough through learning. I build WP themes from scratch for my clients where WP makes sense. I have only customized a theme for a client once, and that was because it was part of the terms of the job. It is far easier than you would suspect to build something as custom as you want it to be than you think. Themes, after all are developed by people one way or another. It's just a matter of whether you want to implement someone else's work or do your own. Wordpress is nothing but a tool that exposes an API. You implement that API how you see fit, or simply tweak someone else's implementation. Either way, it's 100x more flexible than anything you'll build in Muse/Dreamweaver.
    Wow ok! I guess I had a total wrong sense of what wp could do. It seems obvious now, since all the themes are created by people so duh it makes sense. I was also unaware Muse replaced DW, I assumed DW gave more access to back end and code stuff.

Totally not against learning the code needed though, I suppose I'm just going to start there then. Thanks for clearing things up, sorry for the ignorance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
    Ronald Roe likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Common mistake. I'm not sure where people think these things come from, but until someone points it out, a lot of people don't seem to realize it's just some person behind a keyboard like you or me.

Great place to start: https://css-tricks.com/video-screenc...ordpress-loop/
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Common mistake. I'm not sure where people think these things come from, but until someone points it out, a lot of people don't seem to realize it's just some person behind a keyboard like you or me.

Great place to start: https://css-tricks.com/video-screenc...ordpress-loop/
    I guess I thought they were created in house or something?

Anyway thank you again! I'll look into this and get started, it's exciting to expand skills anyway.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times

Well, if you want me to...

Normally, I'd go into one, but in this case it makes a bit of sense. Not a lot of sense, but a bit of sense. It's good for the blog content. That's what it was meant for.

For stores? No, absolutely not. It's not intended for stores. Ultimately, you'll want to learn to build your own, but that takes years to do. In the meantime, try a Shopify or a Volusion or something of that nature.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    Well, if you want me to...

Normally, I'd go into one, but in this case it makes a bit of sense. Not a lot of sense, but a bit of sense. It's good for the blog content. That's what it was meant for.

For stores? No, absolutely not. It's not intended for stores. Ultimately, you'll want to learn to build your own, but that takes years to do. In the meantime, try a Shopify or a Volusion or something of that nature.
    The more I think about it the more I realize I don't even really need a fledged out e commerce system. What she will be selling is mostly one off products, or even taking commissions. I think instead or a shopping cart an order form with a pay with PayPal option should work very well.

Thanks for the information. I'm looking forward to learning more, I'm sure I'll be around here often.

Remove Ads