Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264

Thread: Hand coded, or WYSIWYG Editor?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Hand coded, or WYSIWYG Editor?

Hi, guys! I'm looking to get back to learning to hand code, instead of using my WYSIWYG Editor.
    But, here is a question, hand coded, or WYSIWYG Editor?

Which do you prefer?

Can you get work using only a WYSIWYG Editor?

I've been building my sites, for about 5 years, with Xara's Web Designer pro. I was learning HTML, and a bit of CSS, before I switched to the Xara.
    Here is my current site: abstractcats.org

Also, as I'm getting back to more focus on web design, and wondering about getting work without traditional schooling. I've read many articles, about people going the self study rout, and building an on line portfolio (for web design, and C++ etc.), and showing that, to companies/ potential clients, and getting work on that basis. What are your thoughts?

Thanks!
    Last edited by ScottAC; Dec 26th, 2016 at 12:54 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    If you want to work without going to school....you need to learn to code. Full stop. A WYSIWYG editor will not help you, particularly one that generates bloated and dated code as is the case with Xara. It's not a question of preference (although I like the idea of doing things myself); it's a simple matter of supply and demand economics. Give anyone a WYSIWYG editor and that person will eventually be able to build something. Find someone who can legitimately code something...especially server side code...much harder.
    ScottAC likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    If you want to work without going to school....you need to learn to code. Full stop. A WYSIWYG editor will not help you, particularly one that generates bloated and dated code as is the case with Xara. It's not a question of preference (although I like the idea of doing things myself); it's a simple matter of supply and demand economics. Give anyone a WYSIWYG editor and that person will eventually be able to build something. Find someone who can legitimately code something...especially server side code...much harder.
    Thats what I was thinking, better(and more empowering) to learn to code. Thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    You're welcome!

Empowering yourself kicks ***. Sucks trying to get there sometimes, but when you can do things others can't it's all kinds of fun.
    ScottAC likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads