Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

How do I learn web development and obtain a degree or cert?

I want to know how i become a web developer officially, i'm interested in full stack or front end, but I don't know where or if to go to college, or what i should study. I've started with classes and high school, and codecademy plus, and I'm a senior so i need to know soon.

Member #
    Liked
    298 times
    What classes have you taken? Is there a University in your area that is up-to-date in web dev curriculum - most are far from it?

Have you taken any programming classes?

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetsetskyking View Post
    I want to know how i become a web developer officially, i'm interested in full stack or front end, but I don't know where or if to go to college, or what i should study. I've started with classes and high school, and codecademy plus, and I'm a senior so i need to know soon.
    First of all, front end web development isn't a real thing. I know that it's a popular term, but it's just a euphemism for "web person who knows CSS and a little JavaScript." It's a classic case of the emperor having no clothes and a bunch of people who either swallowed the Internet Kool-Aid or are too scared to say otherwise (I, on the other hand, don't give the slightest bit of a damn).

Development...as in real development...takes place on the server side. PHP. ASP.net. Ruby on Rails. Python. Things like that. Start with one of those. If you learn one of those, you'll put yourself above about 99% of your peers.

The other thing you'll need to learn how to do, if you don't know how to do this already, is how to solve problems and apply knowledge. This isn't something any school will (or even can) teach you; it's something you can only learn from real-world experience. Sure, you'll get programming problems such as "Jimmy has five apples, four oranges, and seven bananas. Sort the array of fruits by count in descending order and by fruit in ascending order and display them on the screen." You won't get real problems from real people where you have to provide real solutions. You just won't. Look at a school that will get you into a co-op if you can for this reason alone.

The real takeaway from all of this is that there is no "one size fits all" answer to your question. You need to forge your own path.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Hello, given your situation, I think the best scenario for you is to self-study. There are a lot of YouTube video tutorials available for viewing anytime. Starting to learn front-end shouldn't be very difficult. It's really up to how passionate and driven are you in taking step-by-step actions to reach your goals. I know it's easier said than done, but you just have to find out what's the best learning direction you need to take.

In my experience, I just had to do a lot of websites during my younger years. I read a lot about how to do website stuff. And most importantly, I ask for feedback, no matter how bad my code or project was.

PM me if you need further help. Maybe I can assist you to some extent. Cheers!

Remove Ads