Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ronald Roe

Thread: "The age of Apple is Over"

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times

"The age of Apple is Over"

Since this statement has indirect ties to web design, I'm going to share this interview the New York Times did with Peter Thiel:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/11/f...m-or-deny.html

In which he states (AND I QUOTE):
    The age of Apple is over.
    Confirm. We know what a smartphone looks like and does. Itís not the fault of Tim Cook, but itís not an area where there will be any more innovation.
    For those of you who don't know who Peter Thiel is, he's a billionaire who, among other things, sits on the board of directors at Facebook and was an executive of the company that created PayPal in the 1990's.

Personally, I think he's right. The nature of a smartphone necessarily demaximizes its use as a productive device, and I've always been of the viewpoint that smartphone/tablet usage falls under the category of "long term fad". We're probably at "peak usage" now, and I suspect we'll see more of a decline in relative usage as time goes on. There may or may not be a device that replaces a smartphone at some point, but I'm not sure it matters if there isn't.

What do you guys think?
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    I'm not sure I buy that smartphones will go away. Much for the same reason we'll never go back to land lines. It's become a part of our lives. Few are going to give up the convenience of having a miniature computer in their pocket to go back to something less useful.

I do agree that there's nowhere to really go from here. How much more can we really innovate without just tacking on stupid gimmicks? "Hey, have you seen the iPhone 11? It can project the screen onto a wall! I never use that feature, though because it runs the battery down about 7% per second."
    TheGAME1264 likes this.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I just got a sexting visual of a testosterone-filled teenage idiot projecting his junk on a basement wall to show how much of a man he is. THANKS FOR THAT.

It's the lack of innovation potential that also led me to the statement of "long-term fad", and yes this is something I have thought for a long time. Yes, smartphones have (minimal) uses, but as far as productivity is concerned they're nowhere near what say even a good laptop would provide. Are you going to do any "front end development" on a smartphone, for example? No. There's nothing that would make that appealing now or in the near future that would provide that. As soon as companies realize their employees are less productive with smartphones than they would be with other devices, that all but eliminates work use ("work use" would pretty much be restricted to "where are you, Johnson? We have a big meeting in 5 minutes" calls). Yes, they're convenient in terms of size, but that's about as far as it goes.

Entertainment? For a while. This is where the gaming console market gives us a potential indication of things to come.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._game_consoles

Now, there aren't a lot of "current" consoles to compare, but there are fewer handheld game console sales than home console sales. The only exception from a company standpoint is that the 3DS outsells the Wii U, but that's easily enough explained by Nintendo's lack of damn given when it came to the Wii U.

It's also why I've never embraced the "mobile first" philosophy. It might take 5-10 years, but I suspect we'll see a dropoff in mobile device usage as people and companies invest in other technologies. Of course, everyone will be surprised and talk about it using brainless terms such as "a sudden and unexpected paradigm shift in user behavior" while you and I sit here and say, "well, someone knew it was coming"...but it's coming.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    300 times
    I don't care! I'm the weird old geezer that uses a phone to make or receive phone calls. I don't even consider going online with my phone. Sent my first and only text a month ago.

Remove Ads