Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264
  • 1 Post By Ronald Roe

Thread: i can javascript

Member #
    Liked
    11 times

i can javascript

ok so its been about 4 months studying in my spare time but i can now fully understand web programming from a javascript point of view. im ready to move on now but before i get into php and sql im actually working on a small project for a friend, which is a basic static website with a contact form, so my question is what does it take to get it hosted and in a secure way. what do i need to know about ftp and apache and are there any other things like ftp i need to concern myself with. im happy to do any online tutorials anyone recommends and im also ok with reading as much as i need to, i dont want to do this half assed since i have put so much time into html, css and js

thanks Cole

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    You won't be able to do the contact form without some backend like PHP. For security reasons, frontend no longer has the ability to send information from a contact form to an email address.

That said, sign up for a basic hosting account. You should get some FTP details in some of the email traffic. If you don't, you can log in to whatever control panel your host provides (usually cPanel) and create an FTP account. Your host should have a tutorial on their site to do that.

For a contact form, you won't need to store anything in a database unless you want to. PHP has a mail() function that you can use to send the email.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    can I add a captcha thing to that mail function to prevent spam?

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    I've never implemented one, but most likely, you'll process the captcha and if it's right, allow the mail function to execute.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    @Busso, just so you know, captchas won't necessarily eliminate spam. There are buildings full of people that spend all day surfing the web and filling out contact forms. They are human, so they get past all captchas. They get paid by how many they submit, and the spam houses run 24/7, every day, all day.

Your site will be fine until it gets linked on other sites and once it's found, it will be spammed.

But you should learn how to use PHP to send contact forms, emails, attachments, text messages, and APIs.

I am pretty sure we (you and us) already went over this topic (and other PHP issues) many times before.

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    we went over php mail once before but I appreciate your comment, I didn't know that about spam houses that's pretty insane.

I will be doing php soon, I'm actually going to be doing a course for it and MySQL

FETCH COURSES

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mlseim View Post
    @Busso, just so you know, captchas won't necessarily eliminate spam. There are buildings full of people that spend all day surfing the web and filling out contact forms. They are human, so they get past all captchas. They get paid by how many they submit, and the spam houses run 24/7, every day, all day.

Your site will be fine until it gets linked on other sites and once it's found, it will be spammed.

But you should learn how to use PHP to send contact forms, emails, attachments, text messages, and APIs.

I am pretty sure we (you and us) already went over this topic (and other PHP issues) many times before.
    To this point, one of the things I've done with ASP.net is build a database and a web app that will check a series of contact form fields for "statistically improbable patterns" or things that shouldn't go into a contact form field that I'm building. For example, a common pattern I see is [url=, as it's the beginning of the vBulletin URL short code. Since there's no reason for anyone legitimate to be using that pattern in a contact form on an ASP.net website, the comment gets flagged as spam and added to a database. The spammer doesn't even know it, because they're redirected to a "thank you" page and they THINK that it has gone through. However, their IP is added to a blacklist behind the scenes and the next time they try accessing a page on a site on my server, they get a 403 error.

The database started out with 204 such patterns. It's now up to 303 in just over a year, and it has caught thousands of spam attempts with 0 false positives and roughly 0.05% that actually went through.
    busso likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    The database started out with 204 such patterns. It's now up to 303 in just over a year, and it has caught thousands of spam attempts with 0 false positives and roughly 0.05% that actually went through.
    For the sake of developers everywhere, turn that **** into and API. I'd pay a small fee to be able to push inbound form contents through something like that.
    TheGAME1264 likes this.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Roe View Post
    For the sake of developers everywhere, turn that **** into and API. I'd pay a small fee to be able to push inbound form contents through something like that.
    I've actually thought about it, but for one small weakness (strength?) Whenever someone actually does spam the form (particularly if they fill in one of the honey pot fields that I create), then I've written something within IIS that will block the IP on every site on the server. The problem is that this process can take a few minutes and often slows down the server.

I may write a second sub for the "foreign" users (e.g. someone like you) to remove that portion of the code so that it doesn't bog down your server waiting for an API request to process. Mind you, that's not something I have planned for the near future either...and you specifically know why (you've seen CT).
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads