Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Ronald Roe
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264
  • 2 Post By Ronald Roe

Thread: hosting, ftp and all to do with it

Member #
    Liked
    11 times

hosting, ftp and all to do with it

in the coming days I will be setting up my own personal static website, but I don't know a thing about hosting or ftp or web servers in general.

so, I'm posting this thread in the hopes that someone can go onto amazon and find a suitable book/books for me to read, maybe you read something before and can recommend one. or maybe you just know what your looking for

I'm not the fastest learner but I am dedicated so feel free to pile on the workload so to speak

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    i just bought this book

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Web-Hosting...ng+for+dummies

which I hope will cover web hosting and ftp, can anyone recommend a good apache book?

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    I don't know if that book will give you the information you're looking for. It looks more like a general info book than an actual guide.

Do this: pull up your FTP client (Filezilla, probably) and enter this address for the host and press Enter: speedtest.tele2.net/

Your FTP client should show you a list of files.This is a public test FTP. You can drag and drop the files you see there anywhere you want. You can also enter the upload folder, drag and drop files from your computer onto it, and once they upload, you'll see them there. That's it. The upload folder on the test server is just where they want uploads to go.

On your hosted server, you will enter the credentials they give you. Then, drop in your files. If you see a public_html folder, which you most likely won't, you'll upload them there. If you don't see the public_html folder, it's because you're already in it. That's literally it. Pop open the browser, go to your domain address and see your website.

Some hosts will give you FTP credentials in their welcome email. On others, you'll have to log into their back end (usually cPanel) and create an FTP account. They can help you with that.

Using FTP to upload files onto your server is hands down the simplest part of anything you've done so far.

You won't need an Apache book. You will do nothing with Apache during this process. Your only interaction with Apache is from the browser when you enter the site's address and press Enter.
    busso and TheGAME1264 like this.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    sounds pretty straightforward, thanks.

when it comes time to get working with apache do I install it on my computer or web hosting account?

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    One other thing: the folder may be a www folder instead of a public_html folder. This happens in very limited circumstances, though.

It may also be the domain associated with your site. This is common among multi-site shared hosting plans. So if you set up abc.com and def.com on your hosting plan, you may see abc.com and def.com folders under the same hosting account.
    Ronald Roe likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Quote Originally Posted by busso View Post
    sounds pretty straightforward, thanks.

when it comes time to get working with apache do I install it on my computer or web hosting account?
    Neither. You will do literally nothing with apache. It will already be installed, configured and...you'll do nothing. No touchy.
    TheGAME1264 and busso like this.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Remove Ads