Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    171 times

Your Thoughts, Please?

I have a friend that has become the CEO of the ARC of Kitsap and Jefferson County and he had a group come in yesterday offering to do the following for $1500 a month.

To me this seems like industry cache phrases to make you think you need this sort of stuff. It also seems more along the lines of actual IT work not necessarily website maintaining. What are your thoughts on this?? I think they are out of their minds, but maybe there is a bigger picture that I do not see. Apparently the website was built on the WIX platform, which the site itself looks fine.

The features for this contract included the following core services. This is the overview.

20 Hours of Multi-Channel Helpdesk Support
    Initial assessment of your organization
    Pro-Active Monitoring up to 25 devices
    Procurement of new hardware & software
    2 Training Sessions a month.
    Weekly scheduled onsite visit.
    Yearly Audit

Things I plan on getting done or starting in Feb 17'. This is an estimated general break out of
    3hrs - Break/Fix
    10hrs - CRM Functionality and Development
    2hrs - Staff Training Sessions

​5hrs - Security System Fix, Unused Hardware Inventory​, and other hardware configurations

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I want to know what 3 hours of Break/Fix is. "Hi there. I'm Bob. For the next three hours, I'm going to break your sh*t, then I'm going to fix it, which means that I fixed it so that's +1 for me. Why? SCREW YOU, THAT'S WHY! I'M F**KIN' BOB THE IT GUY. DON'T QUESTION ME."

You're right. Most of this stuff has nothing to do with web design and development. They also used a buzzword with absolutely no idea of its historical context. Mind you, they used a different derivative word so I suppose that's okay (no, it's not).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Procuring_(prostitution)

As soon as someone uses "Procurement", I assume that person a soulless, vapid, corporate prostitute with nothing to say or offer, and is probably just riding out the clock until (s)he turns 65.

Now, here's the key to all of this...and why your client will inevitably get screwed. It's in the helpdesk support. "20 hours of multi-channel helpdesk support". That means phone, remote desktop, and email. So they'll give you roughly 40 minutes a day of phone/email/remote desktop support if/when you need it. Guess what happens in most cases? Your friend and his org go over the 20 hours and/or his staff/volunteers need someone onsite more than once a week. And at that point, there will be an "overage charge" of a minimum of $75 an hour and probably more in the neighbo(u)rhood of $100-$125/hour, 1 hour minimum, rounded up to the next 15 minutes. At this point, your friend might as well take the Arc wallet and hand it over to the IT guys to save some time.

Tell your friend to run screaming and if he really needs that much IT support to hire someone in-house as a part-time IT, part-time help with the rest of the organization type. If he's looking for website support...well, first of all, he should be asking you. Second, this ain't it.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads