Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Ihateseattle.com

I would like a website like ihateseattle.com where anyone can create a new post and others can comment on it.

What is the best way to do that, is there any templates on wordpress.com that allow you to do that. Or should I pay for hosting and download wordpress.org on to that hosting server.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    There's a post on ihateseattle.com that you really should consider before approaching this project (key part bolded by me):
    There's a difference between anger and hostility and this website is out of control. I'm interested to know if a sister site exists with a real moderator, and not some narcissistic troll Seattlite. If so, please make a post.
    Whenever you allow people to post comments on anything for any reason...they will. And those comments will get incredibly stupid. And angry. And aggressive. And threatening. And borderline illegal at times, depending on your jurisdiction and any restrictions they put on things deemed "hate speech".

Guess who gets to deal with all of that in the end? You do, because you own the site.

Now...why am I bringing this up? Because of the question that you asked. ihateseattle doesn't use WordPress at all, and with good reason; it's the web equivalent of a prefab home, and with all of the associated limitations and problems. You haven't even considered (or at least indicated) any other alternatives, which means you're at best an inexperienced developer. IF you're inexperienced, you're not ready to handle the insanity of people. If you're experienced, you may still not be ready to handle the insanity of people.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    I could make it so the comments have to be pre-approved is case they contain threats.

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    Download and install a free forum script, like:
    https://www.phpbb.com/

Try it for a couple of months and see how it goes.

If it is working good for you, then you can look at spending money to get a real forum going ... with better software. Not WordPress. WordPress is not good for forums with members and subscribers.

Member #
    Thanks for your help!

Should I host with blue host phpBB sponsoring partner?

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    Isn't vanilla forums expensive?

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    If I create a wordpress.com site which is like a blog, cant i just allow anyone to post thus making it like ihateseattle.com.

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    Sure, you enable comments. Try it out and see how it goes.

Remove Ads