Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264
  • 1 Post By Fireproofgfx
  • 1 Post By Fireproofgfx
  • 1 Post By mlseim

Thread: Is this Odd? Or is it just me?

Member #
    Liked
    171 times

Is this Odd? Or is it just me?

So one of my clients passed my name onto another person that was looking for a web designer and we spoke today on the phone.

What this company does is generate "real" news or reviews and they have over 300 WP sites that generate that news. So clients come up to them and have them post press releases or the clients will "ask" them to get "real" reviews for their products and they will post them online to one of their many WP websites.

For instance this is what comes up if you look up vernonia springs reviews

Search Results

"Vernonia Springs" Is Absolutely Stun | 247 NEWS WEB REVIEWS

www.247newswebreviews.com/blog/2016/.../vernonia-springs-is-absolutely-stunning/

Rating: 5 - ‎Review by 247 News Web Reviews
    Dec 12, 2016 - Absolutely stunning property. I can't recommend this property enough Vernonia SpringsOutdoor Events Center. Jeff is great. We booked one ...You've visited this page 3 times. Last visit: 3/9/17

"Vernonia Springs" Is A Rare Gem! | Customer Rankings

www.customerrankings.com/vernonia-springs-is-a-rare-gem/

Dec 12, 2016 - Review of: Vernonia Springs ... it will be so hard to get a booking at Vernonia SpringsOutdoor Events Park! Ok, so sometimes you just want to ...

vernonia springs Archives - Hotel Consumer

https://www.hotelconsumer.org/tag/vernonia-springs/

Nov 1, 2016 - Tag: vernonia springs. Lodging ... “Vernonia Springs Is Beautiful” Vernonia SpringsRetreat! ... Google Vernonia Springs for more reviews: ...

Vernonia Springs | Best Verified Reviews

www.bestverifiedreviews.com/tag/vernonia-springs/

Jeff Walton (Vernonia Springs) provided exactly what was listed and agreed upon in the listing. I want to be clear that he went above and beyond for my wife and ...

Vernonia SpringsJabber Hound Reviews | Jabber Hound Reviews

www.jabberhoundreviews.com/tag/vernonia-springs/

Staying at Jeff Walton's 'resort' Vernonia Springs was fantastic. We arrive quite late (10:00-ish) but he was up and extremely welcoming. The yurt was wonderful!

vernonia springs Archives - Metro Top 10

www.metro-top10.com/tag/vernonia-springs/

Jeff Walton has built a beautiful getaway Vernonia Springs less than an hour out of Portland. The grounds have a covered area for outdoor gatherings, a big ...

Well they asked if I would be interested in working for them (they are local here in WA) creating/maintaining WP websites and also adding a free forum to their main website with a future payment plan option.

Anyways, first off I am almost 99% unfamiliar with WP so I am probably not the right candidate for the job. Secondly the whole things seems sorta odd and thirdly although I would love to get on with a steady opportunity such as this, my "REAL" job as a Union Carpenter is BOOMING so that doesn't give me much time.

I thought about asking around here if any of the Old Timers with WP experience would be interested in something like this, but it again it seems odd which is why I am bringing it up here because I am curious what you think.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I'm not the right candidate for the job, either, and I thank the baby Jesus I'm not.

Things like this have been around for years. Many years. About 8-10 years back, the whole PayPerPost blog scam was a booming industry (and was one of the early reasons I grew to loathe WP). The US Federal Trade Commission (FTC) even launched a crackdown on the "shill review" industry around 2010-2011...the exact year escapes me, but it has been around for a while:

https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/busi...ple-are-asking

Of course, these guys probably have a unique way of spinning what they're doing to make it sound better than it really is, and I'm sure they either have some high-powered attorneys that keep them just inside of the law or they're totally oblivious to the potential legal ramifications of what they're doing. I can't tell if they're shill reviews or not, but they certainly have a lot of the same characteristics.

You're wise to steer clear of this. Anyone else should tread carefully.
    tanzil.chauhan likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    I couldn't wait to see what you thought Game, and as always you are spot on. Thanks for sharing the FTC Link aswell!
    TheGAME1264 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Somehow, you just knew I'd have something to say, huh?
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    Heck even my wife enjoys what you have to say lmao. I was telling her about this whole thing and that I posted it to the forum and I was eagerly awaiting your response and she always likes your responses.
    TheGAME1264 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    TheGAME1264 is so shy ... I keep telling him to speak up and participate.
    Fireproofgfx likes this.

Remove Ads