Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Wordpress or Custom CMS ?

In your opinion, if you take into account the loading time, the possibility that the cms platform is attacked or not, how easy it will be for the user to modify the content in the future, do you think that It is better to design a website on Wordpress or to program the cms platform in php ?

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Whatever works for the project at hand. For instance, a small, mom/pop pizza joint wants a website. You wouldn't want to spin up a scratch-made CMS just for that. WP would be fine, or something else if that's your preference. There's no shortage of other CMS's out there. On the other hand, Mega Big Company, LLC needs a content management platform for customer engagement, referral management, stock oversight, employee management and tracking orders, you aren't going to find something premade that will do the job at scale.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    If I had to pick between those two choices? Is euthanasia a third option?

As Ron indicated, it largely depends on the project. I personally would never use WP for any commercial project if I had the choice; of the five sites that I've seen hacked over the years, four were WP and the fifth was a server hack and not a site hack. However, there are some cases where clients insist upon it and for non-critical applications (e.g. a place where people can write and publish content and feel important). For anything requiring any level of customization and if I had to pick between those two options, I'd pick a custom setup using PHP. Fortunately, I'm not in that position.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads