Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264
  • 1 Post By m3n0tu18

Thread: Wordpress site

Member #

Wordpress site

I am about to start a large website for my job.
    I was wanting advice as to how to proceed, best plugins and such. Website is a huge repository of pdfs database is already there with organization of files. Members are companies with users under them. I would need to be able to easily create a bunch of users when a new company buys a membership and track usage time of users. Easily turn off and on users if payment hasn't been recieved. Track pdfs, restrict users from some content.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Not WordPress. That's not what it was meant for.

Theoretically...and I say this because I've never tested this myself and I'm not about to...X-Cart is capable of handling what you want. You'd have to fork over $500 first, though, to find out if it works for you. I don't know if it will or won't, and I'm not saying it will or it won't as a result. You have to take the risk yourself.

https://www.x-cart.com/software_pricing.html

If it were me personally, I'd build the cart myself. But then again, what I do isn't usually for majority purposes.
    m3n0tu18 likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    136 times
    I am not sure if you are talking about general plugins or ones specific to your needs so I will try to cover both.

As far as general plugins.the ones I like and that I have seen recommended a lot are

Page Builder Site Origin Nice for page building, lets you edit visually and one I could not live without
    Widgets Bundle
    Black Studio Tiny MCE
    Title Remover,
    Spacer
    Contact Form 7,
    Light Box plus color box.
    Social Media Widget
    MetaSlider

As for the membership part I would highly recommend "Paid Membership Pro". There is both a free and paid version and it should do everything you want. It is primarily designed for WordPress but I have not used it for a WordPress site. I do have it on a Joomla site and think you will be quite happy with it.

Member #
    Liked
    265 times
    As a professional wordpress developer it may seem wordpress can do what you are after. And in some ways it can advanced custom fields is great. However I agree with THEGame on this one. Wordpress will. It be able to handle the influx of rapid content. It's just not designed for it. I would review what THEGame said or look at a CMS alternative called Drupal. Drupal is designed for very heavy workloads from website to server.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    TheGAME1264 likes this.
    If you like my comments to your thread please click the LIKE button

Check out my portfolio: Here!
    View my company Facebook Page
    View my company Website

<<Plrease ignoer my typo's I have isdexlyia>>

Member #
    Liked
    265 times
    Quote Originally Posted by m3n0tu18 View Post
    As a professional wordpress developer it may seem wordpress can do what you are after. And in some ways it can advanced custom fields is great. However I agree with THEGame on this one. Wordpress will. It be able to handle the influx of rapid content. It's just not designed for it. I would review what THEGame said or look at a CMS alternative called Drupal. Drupal is designed for very heavy workloads from website to server.

What I meant to say was wordpress will not be able to handle the influx of rapid content. Typing from a cell phone is annoying!

If you like my comments to your thread please click the LIKE button

Check out my portfolio: Here!
    View my company Facebook Page
    View my company Website

<<Plrease ignoer my typo's I have isdexlyia>>

Member #
    Could you explain more about what you mean about not being able to handle the influx of rapid content.
    company I work for currently has a custom site built in asp as far as I can tell. They want to rebuilt because it isn't doing features they want and everytime they make changes other areas break.
    it is my boss who wants to go with wordpress and that is what is on the books before i started this position. I actually thought Drupal might be a better fit but I have zero experience with it.

Member #
    To make understanding project better I think I need to say more about this project.
    Basically site is an online version of the Nursing Home manual, hence the reason there are so many pdf's. Companies buy a membership, some companies will have several nursing homes in different locations with up to 25 users. Sales is done through salesforce right now. There are no credit card payers as no indivduals can purchase only companies.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    You may want to bite the bullet and hire a web developer for this one, will probably save you money in the long run. You can't just build a membership site using front end plugins like is mostly available on Wordpress. You would need a fair amount of coding done on the server side to make what your after work smoothly and be easily scalable.

Member #
    I think you have a very brilliant idea. Please keep updating.
    Last edited by fulton090; Sep 20th, 2017 at 08:43 PM.

Remove Ads