Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By hotbawd

Thread: dns

Member #
    Liked
    11 times

dns

so im reading a book on the domain name system and I have come across a bit of confusion

one part says the server that holds the actual domain name also holds the name server, so my hosting account acts as an authoritative name server and a domain name server

but thn it goes on to say that there must be two authoritative name servers for each domain, but I know that when I purchase a hosting account I don't have two stand alone servers just for use as two name servers, whats the deal?

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    and while I'm here, in a dns record, what is ttl, I know it abbreviates to time to live but what does that mean?

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    anyone out there?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hey busso, each domain does obtain, and require, two nameservers. When you purchse a name server with a Registrar, each domain name is assigned to their defaulted 2 nameservers (ns1.example.com and ns2.example.com). If your hosting company is with someone else, you'l need to change both nameservers to point to that hosting company.

As for TTL, it is part of the DNS set by an authoritative nameserver for each record, and are used for caching purpose. Such as example.com's TTL value is 86400 seconds aka 24 hours.

Hope this helps you out!
    busso likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    so when I get a domain and hosting plan with say... godaddy the 2 nameservers are on the server I have rented?

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    i had a site hosted with godaddy on a shared hosting account but I don't remember anything about name servers, did my site not have one?

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    where are the usuals lol?

Remove Ads