Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Spam Callers After Buying Domain

Hi,

Does anyone know how to stop those spam calls and emails that you receive after purchasing a domain..other than purchasing the additional privacy protection thing...forget what it is called. Purchased a domain through godaddy and I am being flooded with emails even calls.

Any suggestions? Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    It's called privacy protection or domain privacy. Besides that, there's nothing you can do. It's freakin' annoying.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    136 times
    I noticed the same thing when I bought the last domain from GoDaddy a few weeks ago. My phone started ringing off the hook with people wanting to create a web site for us. I have about 20 domains through GoDaddy and never ran into that before. I have a feeling they are selling the leads to generate some extra money or in the hopes of selling domain privacy as an add on. I never noticed that before when I bought domains.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    They don't have to sell the info at all. It's publicly available from any WHOIS lookup. There were also tools out there (and I imagine there still are) that track new domain registrations as they're submitted.

This is why I make sure privacy is enabled on the domains that I register (and I have several). I registered a domain publicly late last year using a test domain name for a client of mine who is a GoDaddy reseller and I probably got more spam phone calls and emails in the week following the registration than I did in the three years prior. It was brutal.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    From my research, like you said, the information is pretty much out there for anyone to see...I am thinking next time though I will use a designate email, specifically just for that site... not my personal one. Just wasn't expecting so much spam ....or maybe just pay the extra fee

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    www.sibername.com <-- a bit more expensive than GoDaddy on the surface, but the privacy feature is free. Worth it to avoid the phone calls you'll get from the twits a day after you register the domain. "Hello, Mr. Adams, I am Dave from Pathways Infotech. We are a WONDERFUL web design serwice prowider based in USA!"

Member #
    Liked
    190 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Meeky32 View Post
    Hi,

Does anyone know how to stop those spam calls and emails that you receive after purchasing a domain..other than purchasing the additional privacy protection thing...forget what it is called. Purchased a domain through godaddy and I am being flooded with emails even calls.

Any suggestions? Thanks
    Standard GoDaddy. The best thing to do is purchase Whois protection, and it's expensive from GD.To many other good registrars out there to pay GD their over priced domains and Whois privacy.
    Bleau
    "Give the gift of life, Adopt a child, And an Animal"

Remove Ads