Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By TheGAME1264

Thread: Ecommerce Web Template

Member #

Ecommerce Web Template

I have a business that produces custom made luxury goods. It's a small business, and I just want to set up something simple to display and sell my products online. I'm using magento 2 CE and I'm at the point where I want to buy a theme. I'm inexperienced with coding/backend, but I can do basic stuff.

What makes a good theme? Most of the themes I've seen on envato marketplace look very similar, and the online web theme tutorials are really vague about what makes a theme good. What criteria should I be looking for when I'm reading through theme descriptions?

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    They're vague by design, and the reason is simple...there is no universal answer to your question.

Your product is custom made and it's luxury. "Custom" is your key word. If your product is custom, then your website should reflect that. The only thing that is going to reflect that is a custom theme. This is something a lot of the "theme factories" fail to understand: they see something someone else did and run it through the web design Xerox machine and again and again and again and again until you get the glut of themes that look and function in a very similar manner. (By the way, I'm a developer and not a designer...that's why I say that.) So you're not going to find any real general list of criteria that fit what you're trying to do.

The other thing you're going to have to consider is that, if your goods are custom made, you're probably going to have some unique pricing issues to deal with that are specific to your product. Things like add-ons, accessories, colo(u)rs that may affect the cost of your product, materials that may affect the cost, etc. Obviously I don't know what those things are because they're specific to whatever you're selling, but these are some of the more general ones. The point is that you're probably going to have to play with Magento to make sure it can calculate the things that you want it to before you figure out the theme. If you spend all the time retrofitting and customizing a theme only to find that your cart can't do what you need it to, you just wasted all of that time and energy...and Magento is funny in that regard. I won't even use it because it's such a pain in the ***.
    peterold and busso like this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads