Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By mlseim
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264
  • 1 Post By Ronald Roe

Thread: xml

Member #
    Liked
    11 times

xml

how important is xml in a web developers skillset?

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    Not important. JSON is the bomb now.
    busso likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    It can be. It depends on how often you work with APIs and how often you need to read XML inputs and output XML to various things.

I use it a fair bit myself...for example, UPS' APIs use XML (although they use a bastardized version where you have to send two XML requests at the same time to get a response for who knows what reason).

JSON? I use it but I don't care for it as much. I find XML easier to read if I'm trying to analyze it and extract data from it or test with it.
    busso likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mlseim View Post
    Not important. JSON is the bomb now.
    awhhh come on, json. the infamous data interchange format I don't understand?

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    It can be. It depends on how often you work with APIs and how often you need to read XML inputs and output XML to various things.

I use it a fair bit myself...for example, UPS' APIs use XML (although they use a bastardized version where you have to send two XML requests at the same time to get a response for who knows what reason).

JSON? I use it but I don't care for it as much. I find XML easier to read if I'm trying to analyze it and extract data from it or test with it.
    That, I think from my limited experience with it is a .NET thing.

Quote Originally Posted by busso View Post
    awhhh come on, json. the infamous data interchange format I don't understand?
    What's to understand? If you understand JavaScript objects, it's basically the same thing.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Roe View Post
    If you mean the UPS APIs, that doesn't appear to be the case.

https://www.ups.com/content/us/en/bu...rates_svc.html

I've never seen a JSON version myself. Mind you, given how flaky it has been over the years it may not be a bad idea.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    I agree that XML is easier to read as a human, but JSON is less bytes for the same amount of data.

In my world of embedded micro-controllers and "internet of things", JSON is very common with code libraries and various controllers. It's so easy to create a PHP API for data transfer to my home controllers.

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Roe View Post

What's to understand? If you understand JavaScript objects, it's basically the same thing.
    my confusion comes from the fact that its so like js, why did they make it in the first place

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Much like XML, its most common use is as a means of being able to transmit and receive data across multiple websites in a relatively universal format. This is something JavaScript itself cannot do.
    busso likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Quote Originally Posted by busso View Post
    my confusion comes from the fact that its so like js, why did they make it in the first place
    Because it's easy to learn and easy to make parsers for.

Because the format existed before someone decided to use it to transfer data - in other words, JavaScript objects were there and were easy to work with, so why not use them.

Because XML is clunky, so people wanted something better.
    Last edited by Ronald Roe; May 26th, 2017 at 07:54 AM.
    busso likes this.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Remove Ads